Reg upgrade question... Mares Abyss 05 or Scubapro MK25/S600?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaThor

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking to upgrade my regulator and am looking at either the Mares Abyss 05 or the Scubapro MK25/S600. Any suggestions? I would love to hear what anyone who owns one of these has to say about them.
Thanks for the input.
T

Don’t have any experience with the Abyss but I do own a MK20/S600 and a MK25/G250 HP. If you decide on Scubapro, save yourself a few bucks and go for the MK25/G250 HP.

I have a Mk25/S600 and am very happy with it. It breathes extremely well, is light weight, and the second stage is very comfortable in the mouth. I also have a Zeagle Flathead XP that breathes just as well and was about $200 cheaper. I don't really like the way the Mk25 first stage mounts on the tank. The hose routing isn't quite as good as some others and I think the swivel just adds a potential failure point. I have never used a Mares reg, so can't comment on them, but I like the hose routing on the Zeagle Flathead VI or Apeks ATX200 much better. IMO you will have a hard time finding anything that breathes better than a Mk25/S600, but there are some that breathe just as well, and have better first stage setups and hose routing. Others will probably disagree.

Vie:
Don’t have any experience with the Abyss but I do own a MK20/S600 and a MK25/G250 HP. If you decide on Scubapro, save yourself a few bucks and go for the MK25/G250 HP.

What makes you say that? Is the 250 as good as the 600?

ScubaThor:
What makes you say that? Is the 250 as good as the 600?

Personally I really can’t tell the difference. I have to quote DA Aquamaster:

“The G250 is internally identical to the S600 and both share the same poppet and adjustment features. Like the R190/R390, the major difference comes down to the G250 having a larger case and larger diaphragm. The G250 also has a much better reputation in cold water and is widely regarded as a reliable and great performing workshorse second stage. So again much like the R190/R390 the issue is one of paying more money for a smaller S600 delivering performance identical to the G250.”

dirthead:
I don't really like the way the Mk25 first stage mounts on the tank. The hose routing isn't quite as good as some others and I think the swivel just adds a potential failure point. I have never used a Mares reg, so can't comment on them, but I like the hose routing on the Zeagle Flathead VI or Apeks ATX200 much better. IMO you will have a hard time finding anything that breathes better than a Mk25/S600, but there are some that breathe just as well, and have better first stage setups and hose routing. Others will probably disagree.

I also have an Apeks FSR/ATX200 and I must say that for single tank diving, I prefer the hose routing of my MK20/25 to the Apeks.

I have the Abyss2000 and after taking it through dives ranging from the warm waters of the red Sea to the frigid waters of Nova Scotia and the Great Lakes, I can say that I'm very happy with it. Never had a problem with it during 200 dives. Great breather regardless how deep or how cold. Actually, I think it's breaths better than my Apeks DS4/ATX50.
It's one of the most solid built regs, I've ever seen. No swivels or knobs and made of solid metal.
The Scubapro is very nice too but not the best for really cold water diving if you'll decide to use it for local diving year around.

Back
Top Bottom