reg service / cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HeatCker

Contributor
Reaction score
how important is ultrasonic cleaning for your regs verses soaking and rinsing in warm fresh water after each dive.
the reason i ask is that a dive shop i just went to doesn't do ultrasonic cleaning they clean with a dermal tool, much more time consuming and according to them does a better job.

how important is a magnehelic when tuning a reg, same dive shop doesn't use a magnehelic, said after 30 yrs of fine tuning/servicing the regs they sell, they just breath in the reg and adjust as necessary.

Neither a ultrasonic or magnehelic is absolutely necessary for tuning regulators but I have to doubt a dive shop that does not use them. I would not trust them using a dremal tool because it would remove chrome.

Neither a ultrasonic or magnehelic is absolutely necessary for tuning regulators but I have to doubt a dive shop that does not use them. I would not trust them using a dremal tool because it would remove chrome.

I agree, while it is possible to clean and tune a reg to reasonable operations without these tools, it makes me really question their professionalism . I don't work for a shop and just do my own regs but I have both tools, they are not that expensive. I really question a shop that does not have these and a lot more.

how important is ultrasonic cleaning for your regs verses soaking and rinsing in warm fresh water after each dive.
the reason i ask is that a dive shop i just went to doesn't do ultrasonic cleaning they clean with a dermal tool, much more time consuming and according to them does a better job.

how important is a magnehelic when tuning a reg, same dive shop doesn't use a magnehelic, said after 30 yrs of fine tuning/servicing the regs they sell, they just breath in the reg and adjust as necessary.

As a Scubapro trained repair technician - I can't complete the overhaul of a regulator set without evaluating IP and cracking pressure. Without bench testing the reg - I have no idea if the first stage and second stage are tuned to specifications. In training - it was emphasized that both guages (IP and magnahelic) are required for adequate testing. Without disparaging the shop in question, I'd encourage you to utilize the services of a shop which demonstrates professionalism and thoroughness in their service procedures.

Rinsing and soaking in warm fresh water is a fantastic idea after every dive in salt water. It makes the service technician's job easier. However, even mineralized fresh water may leave a scale. And salt water will certainly leave deposits that are difficult to remove with rinsing or vinegar. Time in an ultrasonic cleaner with an appropriate solvent (e.g. GMC's hydosonic cleaner) are important in that they return the parts to a factory clean state without damaging the parts and removing chrome. I'm unaware of any dremel tool attachment or abrasive that will perform a similar job. Nor was one recommended during my equipment clinic. Perhaps the cost of a professional grade ultrasonic cleaner ($600) and solvent ($29+$30 hazmat charge) has something to do with their tool choice?

Cleaning is a vital part of servicing a regulator. Without cleaning you inevitably have surfaces that o rings cannot make a proper seal with or move properly against.

Using any kind of power tool inevitably means that friction and abrasion are being used to clean and that means damage to the underlying surfaces as well as either inefficient or inadequate removal of old lubricants such as silicone grease. Also, there are surfaces in a regulator that are difficult if not impossible to reach with a power tool or to see what effect it is having.

I would not consider a dremal or similar tool at all suitable for regulator cleaning let alone think it was doing a superior job.

You don't absolutely need a magnahelic to service a regulator, a simple manometer or even a bowl of water and a ruler can be used but you should at least have some method of establishing a benchmark of cracking effort before service so you can confirm that you have improved the performance after service.

Well, technically Magnehelic is a brand, as is Dremel.

I’ve known shops that function just fine without a flow bench, but cannot imagine what attachment on a Dremel tool would get into nooks and crannies better than ultrasonic.

the ultrasonic I don't understand, you pretty much need that. The heat and sonic pulses help to break apart the salt buildup, very important. If they are using a water pick I can see that almost, but an ultrasonic is better. You can get away without them at home, but a shop charging for rebuilds better have one.

IP gauges weren't brought up by the OP but those are necessary, literally impossible to assemble it properly without one.

Mag gauges again are cheap to build if you want one and any shop charging for it better have one. Most of us that have been rebuilding our own regulators can get real bloody close without a gauge on the second stages to where almost no adjustment is needed if you are testing properly and your mouth is calibrated, but I would never do that in a shop setting. Very unprofessional

I don't know why a shop wouldn't have an ultrasonic or 5 if they service a lot of regs. I haven't been a diver for long but I couldn't imagine a shop without them. You can buy them in the US at harbor freight for <$100.
Ultrasonic Cleaner - 2.5 Liter

I have three IP gauges, one ultrasonic, and 2 mags. Total investment under 300 bucks. You don't need a super fancy ultrasonic but not having any at all is a pain.
When I teach a reg service class I have to keep in mind that some just won't buy an ultrasonic. Fact of life. So I show them the best ways to clean their regs using what they have. A dremel tool never comes to mind.
IP gauges are cheap. Heck, you can make one from an old BC inflator, adaptor, and gauge for around 15 bucks. A good one with pressure relief those is only 20.
The mag function can be done quite accurately with a homemade device or sink and ruler. A shop though should have these.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom