reg second stage noise!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

troyliu88

New
Reaction score
hi, guys, I am new diver, just got a regulator, Zeagle flathead VI, I try it at home on my tank, when I exhaul, there are noise come out of bottom part of second stage, same with octo,
did I breath wrongly? or it is normal

Hi, and welcome! Do you mean a resonating "honking" sound? Probably just a resonating vibration from the exhaust valve -- not that unusual, and I've had the same thing with a Mares, but it was not a problem; except for potential embarrassment. The sound should disappear underwater, as everything vibrates differently. If it makes you feel better, you could have a dive shop take a look at it -- but there may not be much they can do, other than replace the exhaust valve.

Yes... scuba equipment works different in the water than on land... Reminds me of an actual phone call we got:

Customer: "I'd like to return these fins I just got from you... they really hurt my feet after an hour and a half."

Me: "Gee, that's a pretty long dive... what kind of boots are you wearing?"

Customer: "Oh I wasn't wearing boots, and I wasn't diving. I just put them on and walked around my apartment for the last hour and a half, and they really hurt the tops of my feet."

Me: "Sir, please send back the fins for a full refund... and any other life support equipment you might have purchased from us...":wink:

scubatoys:
Yes... scuba equipment works different in the water than on land... Reminds me of an actual phone call we got:

Customer: "I'd like to return these fins I just got from you... they really hurt my feet after an hour and a half."

Customer: "Oh I wasn't wearing boots, and I wasn't diving. I just put them on and walked around my apartment for the last hour and a half, and they really hurt the tops of my feet."

Me: "Sir, please send back the fins for a full refund... and any other life support equipment you might have purchased from us...":wink:
LOL! Excellent!

Too funny Larry, less than two weeks before I go on my first out of country trip with the gear I purchased from you, wish me luck. Oh yeah, I just used the dive luggage I got from you a few weeks ago to travel to Brasil for work and some play (hopefully soon the play part) was great to roll my gear and luggage instead of dragging my 60+ # duffel I usually use to carry my work clothes and stuff. Still a problem finding room to carry a laptop, regulator, and extra clothes onto the plane as carry on but I managed to slip on the plane without to much attention.
Thanks,
Eric Quirk

scubatoys:

Hey that was me......

Just kidding.....:11doh:

My second stage is a Scubapro and it did that honking stuff after a rebuild last year. It was very annoying and loud underwater. Is there something that I can do to cut the noise down?

If the honking is coming from the second stage itself, it is probably caused by the vibration of the diaphragm when breathed out of the water and it will stop with the reg in the water. That's normal and some regs just seem to do it while others don't due to minor differences in how the diaphragm is seated in the case. It usually goes away entirely after a few dives when the any stress in the diaphragm relieves itself.

However if the honking is more of a resonating whistling honking that seems to emenate from the LP hose leading to the second stage it is (in a balanced piston first stage like the Mk 5, Mk 10, Mk 15, Mk 20 or Mk 25) virtually always due to inadequate lubrication of the high pressure o-ring on the stem of the piston.

This is a job for a tech who will need to remove the piston, lube the area with christo-lube and then re-install the piston. If this is done, it's a good idea to install a new seat as well to avoid the problem of haivng 2 separate but overlapping seating grooves develop which will cause an IP creep. And this is not any extra work as you have to remove the seat and seat retainer anyway to properly install the piston using a piston bullet. If a bullet is not used it can damage the HP o-ring and remove lube anyway, which really defeats the purpose of doing the work in the first place.

This type of honking is an indication of an inadequate service job as every SP tech on the planet should be aware of the issue by now. So you should expect the corrective work to be done for free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom