Reg recovery?

My 'first try' reg recovery method is:

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are a PADI Pro and think a standard needs review or revision, get an email (NOT a phone call) to the right person or department. Not sure that is right now...

May take some time, but at the least that note will go into a folder for discussion the next time that course comes up for review.

With the vast majority if my students headed for tropical resorts, and at least initially if not permanently relying on rental gear at those resorts, I teach with the "standard" primary/alternate configuration

This is both the right answer and part of the problem. The inertia required to overcome the configuration of the current rental pool, plus the appropriate desire to teach your students what they’ll use means nothing changes.

Just use a longer hose around your head and bungee backup and you’ll never have to worry about those silly issues. It’s funny how agencies teach reg recovery as a skill...

Here's a mini description of my experience with losing a reg while equipped the way you describe. Just a heads up I hope to show it gear doesn't make us immune to all risks.

Neck bungee octo holders?
SOLUTION: Pull release design necklace and/or because skilled with cutting tools.
In a high flow drift dive I tangled my second stage in a tree, jamming the bungee necklace in branches I had difficulty reorientating myself again the river current to untangle it. In the few minutes it took I was mildly strangled by my bungee necklace which was pulled tight by the current.
I could have cut it, but difficult to reach to cut behind my head or directly against my neck with thick thermals and dry gloves.

That's my tale of a lost reg and the strangulation hazard a regulator necklace while diving long hose.

(If I'm not diving a double hose.)

Like a few others here, I've gone to a 40" hose under the right arm and a bungeed necklace (double fisherman's knot type.) The first order of business would be to start breathing off the backup second stage while rotating the right shoulder down-but reaching over the right shoulder-so my answer is "over shoulder grab and pull".....but at the same time preparing for the "side lean and sweep."

Confession. When I was teaching, I was one of the "kneel on the bottom" despicables. This skill is an example of how "doing it horizontally" certainly makes more sense and is more "real world."

Agree with Tbone... . backup reg on short hose and necklace... in she goes first... I have never understood and completely disagree with the focus being taught as recovering the lost hose first. It makes zero sense to me. I humbly believe that the most important thing is to get air and a budgie secondary on a short necklace for me simply cannot be beat. Get that secondary in your mouth then go find the primary reg... just my 2 cents. And I do agree pretty darn hard to lose the long hose.

Confession. When I was teaching, I was one of the "kneel on the bottom" despicables. This skill is an example of how "doing it horizontally" certainly makes more sense and is more "real world."

Actually, if one does all the ascents and descents in a vertical position the kneeling position is good practice. It's much easier to find when horosontal, no additional training necessary.

Bob

1) Put necklaced secondary in mouth. (2-4 seconds?)
2) Track long hose from chest around neck to regulator dangling in front of me, switch back to it. (voted other)

RAID teaches that in any undemanded "Reg out of mouth" scenario, step 1 is to get breathing gas. This will almost always be by taking the alternate and placing it in your mouth.

Step 2 is assessing what happened. It may be a normal loss (mouthpiece came off, kicked out of mouth, etc) or you may find a diver with big eyes and no gas at the other end, in which case this is now an air sharing ascent.

In terms of this, my go to recovery is usually just to look to my right, I can almost always see it hanging there. Since there is no rush, I can then ask my buddy if I can't see it, sweep for it, follow hoses etc etc

I teach my students all these methods. I also teach them in standard rec setup where necessary, and how to make a pull away bungee for when they don't have access to suitable "primary donate" equipment.

I used to HATE teaching the reg recovery. Watching the student blowing out a little stream of bubbles while they sweep and KNOWING that if they miss the first sweep then its likely going to be a bolter, always stressed me out ridiculously. Watching the anxiety set in as they realise they are running out of time was terrible for everyone involved.

I used to HATE teaching the reg recovery. Watching the student blowing out a little stream of bubbles while they sweep and KNOWING that if they miss the first sweep then its likely going to be a bolter, always stressed me out ridiculously. Watching the anxiety set in as they realise they are running out of time was terrible for everyone involved.
DITTO!!!

I have always felt exactly the same. It is like watching an automobile stalled on railroad tracks, and seeing the train coming.

I have never lost my primary reg during a dive. On the other hand my primary has a secure mouth piece and I am missing a couple of back teeth. Very hard to remove reg without my cooperation. It is locked in. Regular mouth piece on my alternate of course. Do practice the recovery some times.

In practice - step one is go to secondary. If for some reason that would not be where it should be in a holder grab the reg on the pony while I sort out things. That reg is always in the same place and only 12 inches or so from my mouth since pony is slung. As noted by others I have old bad shoulders and sometimes I need to follow the hose and that is done slowly at first.

Back
Top Bottom