Reg recomendation for my wife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingCRNA

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

Wife wants a new set of regs. She has had a few problems with the current set (more features and new than my regs) and she wants new ones rather than yet another round of service and repair.

What do you all recommend for a fair weather diver (will NOT get into cold or dark water) who is totally willing to go to 100+ feet in warm ocean water if there is something worth seeing? Maybe she will do some lake training in July and August, maybe not.

She wants easy breathing, comfortable in her mouth and a reliable workhorse.

Thanks!

Whatever is available locally for a good price with good service...

Apeks, Mares, Scubapro, Atomic, and Zeagle in particular..

LOL We only have Oceanic and Scubapro available locally and you have to send your gear out of town to get annual service done right.

LOL

Maybe Scubapro. At least the warranty should be easier if they are in town.

DivingCRNA:
She wants easy breathing, comfortable in her mouth and a reliable workhorse.

Thanks!

I have nothing but praise for my Atomic Z1 reg!! It is extremely easy to breathe and has a very comfortable bite on it. I thought I was going to have to go with a SeaCure mouthpiece just so I could get a comfortable mouthpiece...I found the standard bite to be great. I'm sure you will get many more recommendations too though. I hope she finds what she wants. My regs are like a dream come true. :07:

EDIT: I just saw your post that ScubaPro and Oceanic are the only lines available...I can't weigh in too much on that one. All I have is a ScubaPro octo. I know that SP has a big following though.

Hard to go wrong with ScubaPro, but I have heard good things about the Oceanics.

diving only hotwater?

sherwood oasis or little much expensive maximus...

very good horse

I have an oceanic delta 3 and love it. If she doesn't want the venturi and resistance adjustments go for the Alpha 8 or Alpha 8 Sport. These replaced the Alpha 7 which IMO is a great entry level reg. Both are Navy ClassA to 198ft and both are reasonably priced. The main difference is the first stage. The 8 sport uses a Flow by sport Piston 1st stage. The 8 uses a balanced piston. Personally if she goes to 100 ft comfortably I'd go for the Balanced Piston of the 8. Only because I prefer a balanced first stage for deeper diving because it's a proven design. I don't know that much about a flow thru design and that's the only reason I hesitate to recommend it. Other than that I would never hesitate to recommend an Oceanic reg to anyone.

JimLap:
I have an oceanic delta 3 and love it. If she doesn't want the venturi and resistance adjustments go for the Alpha 8 or Alpha 8 Sport. These replaced the Alpha 7 which IMO is a great entry level reg. Both are Navy ClassA to 198ft and both are reasonably priced. The main difference is the first stage. The 8 sport uses a Flow by sport Piston 1st stage. The 8 uses a balanced piston. Personally if she goes to 100 ft comfortably I'd go for the Balanced Piston of the 8. Only because I prefer a balanced first stage for deeper diving because it's a proven design. I don't know that much about a flow thru design and that's the only reason I hesitate to recommend it. Other than that I would never hesitate to recommend an Oceanic reg to anyone.

for use at or above 100 feet any reg with a balanced first and second stage will breath
well enough. Asfor comfort, mouth piece all interchange. I happen to like the aqualung
style and even have one on my snorkle.

I'll second the Oceanic. I bought my son a used Oceanic Delta Four. It was used at the shop as a rental unit. The owner serviced it then sold it to me. I tried it out by going off the beach to 110 ft. It breaths at least as well as my Apeks reg. The oceanic is also very robust and easy to service but I only go as far as taking the cover and diaphram off to clean out any sand (mostly do beach divingf)

Scuba pro however is easy to get serviced world wide and has a better reputation but don't overlook Qceanic. They make good stuff, tough, robust and conservative

Since you've already said that you only have Oceanic and Scubapro available....

I'd recommend Scubapro. I have the MK25 but they are all solid regs with smaller mouthpieces.

Back
Top Bottom