Reg recomendation for my wife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you choose either the Oceanic or ScubaPro lines then the local shop can sell it to you, but you have indicated that service will still be a problem. You might consider getting a regulator from one of the online sources like ScubaToys. Talk to them and get a reg that when purchased from them will still qualify for long term warranty parts and then simply ship the regs to ScubaToys for service. I believe that they discount service for regulators originaly purchased from them. You still need to pay for some shipping charges and it may take a little longer but the end result may be easier than local options. Just a thought any way.

Good luck,

Mark Vlahos

What is the current set of regs that she is unhappy with and what are her specific complaints? New and breaths easy is a pretty big list to chose from. Narrowing it down to Scubapro & Oceanic helps a lot but still not many bad one in their lines. And local service is a good thing only if they have good tech. If servicing the current regs doesn't cure the problem(s), then maybe the problem is with the service rather than the regs. Have you tried switching kits with her to see how she likes your regs?

If you have to send your regs out for annual service, I would order an Apeks reg set from someplace like Divetank.com. They offer great prices and service. I bought my ATX200 from them and couldn't be happier. They do not advertise Apeks on their website, but give Richard a call and he will hook you up.

I'll second the Atomic line, i had a M-1 , awsome reg.

Im now diving a Scuba Pro S600 with a MK25 first stage, and at 150' the reg breath's great at all depth's., and dry in ALL Position's, which i really like also.

My wife has the Scuba Pro 550 , which is a line down, and really like that also.
I tried both out, and liked the S600 personalley, but either one you can't go wrong.

She has an Oceanic Zeta. It has been a ton of trouble. She is pretty superstitious too. She doesn't want the same brand. It defies logic, but confidence in your gear is everything.

Also, the local Oceanic dealer is REALLY high priced and neither I nor my dive buddies can tolerate the manager of the shop.

So it may be Scubapro. This area is just short of quality dive shops.

awap:
What is the current set of regs that she is unhappy with and what are her specific complaints? New and breaths easy is a pretty big list to chose from. Narrowing it down to Scubapro & Oceanic helps a lot but still not many bad one in their lines. And local service is a good thing only if they have good tech. If servicing the current regs doesn't cure the problem(s), then maybe the problem is with the service rather than the regs. Have you tried switching kits with her to see how she likes your regs?

So find a nice ScubaPro in your price range and buy it from a shop that you like.

Problem solved!

You can't go wrong with scubapro. I have 3 of them and they're great. Spend some time on the net. Find out the MSRP for the different models, go into the shop and do a little negotiating. He should give you at least 10% off. If you're real nice he might go 20%.

OK. The bad news is Scubapro M'S'RP is quite a bit on the high side. But the good news is that the only thing you can do wrong with a high end SP reg is pay MSRP. 10% off the MSRP is a good price to plan on. If your local dealer won't do that, then I'd shop elsewhere (for the reg and probably for future service). Just so you have an idea of the lower limit, check prices at Leisurepro. Your LDS can't match that directly, but he may be able to get between MSRP minus 10% and the LP price with a package deal involving more than just SP gear. Consider other gear you might need or services like air or annuals that can be thrown in without violating dealer agreements. Agree on the cost of annual service before you buy. You will better know what you are getting in to and the shop will have an additional opportunity to make a good package sale.

You might as well plan on the Mk25/S600. The G250HP will perform just as well but she is going to like the smaller 2nd. My wife really likes hers.

The Scubalab reviews on the Atomic T2 were very impressive. Breathing performance at depth and under load was virtually flawless. Furthermore, Atomic claims there is no difference (performance wise) between their regulators (see their FAQs on their Web site at www.atomicaquatics.com). However, their internal claims cannot be called unbiased.

The B2 is supposed to be an identical performing regulator with many of the same engineering attributes at about half the cost. However, I have been doing some preliminary research comparing the Atomic B2 and Atomic Z1 (I currently have both the B2 and the Atomic Z1 and looking to buy another regulator) and besides a Titanium Valve Body, I see very little difference between the regs. The Z1 is about $150 to $200 less than the B2. Thus, depending on your wife's desire to spend over $1000 for the T2, you may want to consider the Z1 as a low cost, high performance option.

I own a Z1 and over the last two years, I have done over 100 dives on it (many of them deeper than 100 feet and as low as 170 feet) and have had NO problems. My next regulator will be an Atomic!

FYI - The B2 comes standard with a nice swivel hose option that the Z1 does not come with from the factory.

Hope this helps

jcf

PS - If anyone has/knows of a WOB comparison of the atomic regulators, please post it to this forum as I would love to preview them. I have found them for many manufacturers. Atomic just notes that all their regs exceed standards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom