Reg options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is also the Mares regs that breathe every bit as well as the adjustable ones without the need for knobs and levers.
The VAD bypass tube really does work.

You can't go wrong with the Sherwood, I've been useing them for some time and it's like owning a rock.

On the other hand, if the Hog came with a Yoke connection I would be quite tempted. I have already decided to get a Hog second stage for my primary on my Sherwood, but I have yet to pull the trigger.

Bob
----------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

On the other hand, if the Hog came with a Yoke connection I would be quite tempted. I have already decided to get a Hog second stage for my primary on my Sherwood, but I have yet to pull the trigger.

Bob
----------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.
If you read Jim Lapenta's post above the HOG can come with a yoke fitting. It costs an additional $39. I like the HOG line for the 5th port. Works better with a long hose setup. Plus I like having two of the same second stages that are adjustable.

Why isn't a cold water diver using DIN?

No need for DIN in cold water. Yoke works just fine. I do want a sealed reg though and if not then the IP should be turned down a bit. We do this on non sealed regs for ice diving.

A couple of thoughts on what everyone else has said. Unless you are diving cold with water temps less then the upper 40s enviromental sealing is not that big a deal, esp for diaphgram regs like the the HOG/Edge and Zeagles. Not to be picky but the seal does not keep the stuff from the "internals" but rather it keeps it out of the spring chamber which has a very mimimal number of parts, all of which handle salt water with no problem, as long as they are rinsed properly. I do a lot of work with old USD Conshelfs which have used that design for over 40 years and I rarely see any major corrosion and the same can be said for all the Scubapro regs that are out there, granted they are piston regs but the corrosion in the spring chamber is the same. For warm water diving I just don't see it as a selling point either way.

What herman said.

To the OP:
I have one zeagle with no enviro seal which I regulary dive in < 40 water. In diapragm regs the water is not getting to the place where the most cooling occurs so the enviro seal abscence is not a big deal for cold water. The problems strart when you do repetitive dives with freezing surface temps. This is where the enviro seal protects the main spring from freezing.

---------- Post added January 19th, 2013 at 03:35 PM ----------

Scubapro seems to be running some sales now. Worth checking.

Beaverdivers did manage to steer me away from the gray market purchase with his pricing :)

No need for DIN in cold water. Yoke works just fine.
You are not a kelp diver are you? It gets tangled on everything, and a yoke fitting just adds to it. Then again I like to slam through the kelp on my scooter and have experienced more entanglements than most.

Not on a regular basis. Only two dives in Monterrey. But around 50 in quarries where you use your arms to part the vegetation so you don't have to crawl over it. Only took my scooter in once. Granted it's just a torpedo 2000 but the shroud grate still wasn't enough to keep the prop clear. And often come out looking like swamp thing.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for all of the replies. Glad to have joined the board.

Back
Top Bottom