Reg on a pony bottle question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The pony regulator need not be a high performance, high zoot regulator. it simply needs to be a very reliable regulator. Conshelfs, MR12s, Titans etc. Simple downstream seconds and a basic diaphragm or piston first. And the regulators I mentioned can give just about anything a run for the money performance wise, especially the Titan XL. Another thing, of mind, I tend to detune my pony regs and back up regs. In other words, I set the cracking force a little higher.

N

But why would you use it on an 80? For travel that is one of the last things I'd choose. ... It screws directly into a tank. Not an ideal choice. Are you using it with a hosed second? If so which one?

I would never use it on an 80, BUT you could - 1 HP for SPG, 2 LP for 2nd & BC inflator. Yeah it screws in - so what? For travel I bring my 13 cf and use it on that. I just got a LP 27 cf pony. That will go with me as well. The 27 has a regular Blue Steel valve on it and will I use a tank equalizer to fill it unless at the fill station. I don't find bringing the fill adapters to be problematic.

Yeah, my 2nd is on a 40" yellow hose and is yellow itself. What difference does it make which one? It's the same reg as my primary, only yellow. The SPG is on the RG2V - the way it's slung I can easily read it. I can also hand it off easily, if needed. After much research and trial, I find it's the best option - at least for me.

What you loose it the ease of filling.

NOT! I get my pony filled when I check in at the shop where I get my unlimited shore dive package. It stays filled unless I have an emergency. If I use it I can easily get it refilled when I'm picking up or dropping off tanks. It's also no problem on a live-aboard.

You also loose the ability to swap regs should your primary start to act up or swap pony bottles without draining both.

Also bogus. The reg has a valve so I can shut it off and remove anything attached without draining the tank. I can pull the SPG or 2nd and replace them easily.

It a neat system, but like many non-standard systems once your use expands beyond the original niche the use of a standard system makes more sense.

Don't see how it's non standard. All the fittings are standard, there is a shut off knob, there is a HP port, and 2 LP ports. Just because the configuration is different from what you are using doesn't mean that it's not a full function reg.

being able to remove the second stage cover underwater is optimal. in the event it clogs up with debris you can clean it out...

NOT! I get my pony filled when I check in at the shop where I get my unlimited shore dive package. It stays filled unless I have an emergency. If I use it I can easily get it refilled when I'm picking up or dropping off tanks. It's also no problem on a live-aboard.

If it stays filled, that means you are not testing it before every dive. It also means you are not drilling with it on a regular bases. Therefore its a paperweight giving you a false sense of security.

Also bogus. The reg has a valve so I can shut it off and remove anything attached without draining the tank. I can pull the SPG or 2nd and replace them easily.

What I was stating is you cannot remove the 1st and swap things around without draining the tank. For example, you can't say gee, the 6 cu ft tank is a bit small for my 100' dive, let me grab the 13 or 30 pony today. With the standard reg, I do that on a routine basis. I pick the right tool for the job.

I don't see how it's non standard. All the fittings are standard, there is a shut off knob, there is a HP port, and 2 LP ports. Just because the configuration is different from what you are using doesn't mean that it's not a full function reg.

Not even close to standard. The valve is small (both the handle and the orifice size) and the flow rate through the 1st is substantially less than a typical 1st stages. It's enough for a pony (remember 1 person max), but may not be enough for 2 people. A standard 1st stage is over-engineered to provide extremely high flow rates in order to support 2 divers at max depth breathing hard with a rock steady IP to minimize effort ant allow the 2nds to be tuned to breath nice and easy. It's not the same, you may think its good enough for your purposes, you may be right but you should understand its not the same.

If it stays filled, that means you are not testing it before every dive. It also means you are not drilling with it on a regular bases. Therefore its a paperweight giving you a false sense of security.

No, I always breathe my regs before I enter the water, just as I was taught. I also regularly practice with the pony - both at depth and at safty stop. neither drains the tank and I top it off when I pick up/drop off tanks. And NO it's not a paperweight NOR do I have a false sense of security. You, however, certainly seem to depend on unsupported assumptions.

What I was stating is you cannot remove the 1st and swap things around without draining the tank. For example, you can't say gee, the 6 cu ft tank is a bit small for my 100' dive, let me grab the 13 or 30 pony today.

If you took the time to read my posts you would see that I have that covered. My 13 is set and I've got a Blue Steel LP 27 with a regular valve. A six????? - about the same use as a spare air - only for people who want enough time to repent & say a prayer before they drown.

Not even close to standard. The valve is small (both the handle and the orifice size) and the flow rate through the 1st is substantially less than a typical 1st stages. It's enough for a pony (remember 1 person max), but may not be enough for 2 people.

So the knob is small. I turn it on before I enter the water. I want it small on a pony - I want everything as small as possible on a pony.

Also, once again your lack of hands on experience with the product and your biased assumptions render your statements just so much bushwah. It breathes exactly the same as my standard.

Moreover, I'm curious - why on earth would I ever be double breathing a bailout pony? If a buddy has an OOA, and I do too, both at the same time and we both have to share the pony, and we can't make that work - well - I guesss I've got bigger problems - another good reason to continue diving mostly solo.

By the way, it's not good enough for my purposes - it is superlative for my purposes.

It's obvious you just want an argument so I will discontinue replying. Here are a couple of quotes to chew on:

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
-- Aldous Huxley
I can explain this to you; I can't comprehend it for you.
-- Edward Koch
It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.
-- Caron de Beaumarchais

Last winter I was diving the St-Lawrence river in 32F water and my mk17/g250v had a problem... guess what got me out safely, my mk2/r295 on my 40cf. I breathed in it for 10 minutes and did not have any problems. It was better than popping in the middle of the St-Lawrence. I'm not saying it's the best reg for cold water but it did work for me. This winter i'll be diving sidemount so I'm packing two mk17's.

I have an old Aqualung / US Divers Conshelf VI for recreational pony bottle duty. It has 1 LP / 1 HP port, but, it is a diaphragm 1st stage. I found it in a box of "junk" at work. After a quick ultrasonic cleaning and some used-but-much-fresher parts (1 year old HP seat > 25+ year old HP seat), it seals perfectly with no creep. It's a very small regulator. Currently, I have the Conshelf VI 2nd stage on my DA Aquamaster on "octo" duty, so my buddy will be a little calmer diving with me! I'm probably going to pick up a 19cf bottle to take on vacation with me if I ever go anywhere cool. I would much prefer doubles or a 30cf, but, I'll take what I can get.

I also have two of the Apeks DS4 O2 deco regulators for my AL40 + AL80.

No, I always breathe my regs before I enter the water, just as I was taught. I also regularly practice with the pony - both at depth and at safty stop. neither drains the tank and I top it off when I pick up/drop off tanks. And NO it's not a paperweight NOR do I have a false sense of security. You, however, certainly seem to depend on unsupported assumptions.

You said "It stays filled unless I have an emergency". If you practice with it regularly and breath off of it before every dive, this cannot be true. That is not an unsupported assumption, its simple logic. If your using them properly, you are going to need to either top them off regularly with your special adapter.

If you took the time to read my posts you would see that I have that covered. My 13 is set and I've got a Blue Steel LP 27 with a regular valve. A six????? - about the same use as a spare air - only for people who want enough time to repent & say a prayer before they drown.

If this regulator is so "superlative" for your 13, why don't you use it on your 27. That's right, its a pain in the butt to switch between tanks, so you now need 2 pony regulators. Exactly what I tried to explain.

So the knob is small. I turn it on before I enter the water. I want it small on a pony - I want everything as small as possible on a pony.

You stated "I don't see how it's non standard.", I pointed out the small knob, along with a couple of other things. Its not standard, it will work for you if you want a small pony, of course, knock yourself out. But its not standard.

Also, once again your lack of hands on experience with the product and your biased assumptions render your statements just so much bushwah. It breathes exactly the same as my standard.

No assumptions, no bias. I purchased one about 7 years ago and probably have more dives with it than you have had you entire life. When I am traveling and I need a the smallest possible pony setup, its an option I use. I have dived with a fair amount of gear over the past 35 years. My opinion is simply it is a specialized regulator. You have some benefits and some tradeoffs, choose wisely.

Moreover, I'm curious - why on earth would I ever be double breathing a bailout pony? If a buddy has an OOA, and I do too, both at the same time and we both have to share the pony, and we can't make that work - well - I guesss I've got bigger problems - another good reason to continue diving mostly solo.

I never said you would have 2 divers breathing the same pony reg. I was pointing out the differences between a standard reg and this one. It has different flow characteristics, one of the tradeoffs of the design.

By the way, it's not good enough for my purposes - it is superlative for my purposes.

If you want the smallest possible pony, I agree with you 100%. That was not the question posed by the OP, neither was your advice qualified to that purpose.

It's obvious you just want an argument so I will discontinue replying. Here are a couple of quotes to chew on:

Duh, the is Scuba Board! We have different views, you think your regulator is the best thing since sliced bread, I don't agree. Its you choice to continue the conversation or drop it.

A 6 cu-ft tank is much more air than a spare air and is enough air to get the diver to the surface from 60-80 feet or more NO PROBLEM!!!!

A 6 cu-ft tank is much more air than a spare air and is enough air to get the diver to the surface from 60-80 feet or more NO PROBLEM!!!!

I'm with dumpster. A 6 is twice the air in the "big" Spare Air. Though I dive with a 19 within recreational limits (for good reasons), a 6 would allow me a leisurely ascent from 70 ft, 2 minutes at safety stop, and ascent to the surface at twice my usual SAC. The Spare Air would not quite allow me the leisurely ascent directly to the surface. Math is great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom