Reg on a pony bottle question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As others have mentioned, the atomic second stages has a seat savor on them thus if unpressurized there an increased chance of water entering the reg. When I use my atomics for deco bottles (and when I dove with a pony), I just leave mine charged (i.e. the valve is always on). The second stage was near me so if it free flowed I could deal it (it never has/did).

Wow...this post solved a mystery for me. Seawater had entered my drained pony (was charged in the car, and something was lightly pressing on the purge button). The second is an Atomic. That's going to change now. I also charge and breathe off the pony during kit-up, and just before entry now.

It should be the best reg you own and definitely not one that's prone to free-flows.

If you have to use the pony, chances are good you'll be hoovering more than normal which increases the risk of a free-flow, so I'd suggest a sealed reg.

Also, I'd suggest a DIN connection on the reg and tank. When the brown stuff hits the fan, the last thing you want to discover is that instead of turning on your gas, you just unscrewed the yoke, It's too easy to confuse the knobs if you're not careful.

flots.

That's why when I dive with a pony bottle I always keep the valve on. If I'm out of air it's one less action.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom