Reg failure-- what would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

20 feet max with a working reg ? Yes, all day.What's the NDL for 20ft ?

On a easy shore dive 4-6 meters I too would put his action in the "no sweat" catagory. You're talking about an entire dive at safety stop depth and having two 2nd stages is a pretty recent addition to basic scuba gear.
You can feel if the reg is locking up (running out of air), and a freeflow really quite easy to breathe from. What else is likely to happen that wouldn't have happened w/ 2 working regs?

Note: I didn't say what else could happen. I said what else in which that 2nd working 2nd stage would have made a difference.

I would have just switched to my backup 2nd stage in the tool kit in my truck. However considering the depth I would have just grabbed my snorkel and fins and free dove to start with....I don't solo dive without redundant gas, backup mask and cutting devices.

20 FT DIVE.. SOLO...OMG! Seriously, does an octo have a whole lot of value to a solo diver in 20 ft of water? Not much utility in my book... A few weeks ago, I pulled an old pony bottle reg out that i wanted to test. So I dove it in 15 feet, no spg, no octo, no inflator hose ...just first and second stage... no big deal....for certain people in certain conditions.

I frequent the springs in Crystal River Florida (depth 10' to 30') and often just dive a pony under my arm. (has an spg, but thats it) Fun and quick.

I'm new and probably more confident than I should be but the go/no-go call for me would be how familiar I was with the site. If I'd dived it a couple times before and the freeflow wasn't massive I'd probably dive it as is. If it was too annoying as I entered and I was solo I'd just pull the hose, plug the port, and dive my octo.

I would have gotten on ScubaBoard using my smartphone and asked for several hundred opinions.

LOL yes, this of course is always the best course of action haha..

actually this thread has proved quite interesting. Not so much in relation to the original question, but there's been some good insight here relating to solo diving and the necessary preparation to ensure its done safely, etc. Wasn't my reg failure but did get me thinking and i appreciate all (ok, MOST) of the input here! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom