Reg Exhaust and Hood Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is your mask strap OVER or UNDER your hood?

Wearing it under the hood often opens up the sides of the hood letting exhaust bubbles in.

Not so hard really:
CCVuw_017_2.jpg

Foggy mask? And this is even easier (and cheaper):
DSC_0013_2.jpg

Which is why I also thought technique could be at play. It just seems to me though, that being able to turn your head without flooding your mask or getting a rush of air into your hood woul be a typical diving manuever.

Yup... so my next question is... is hood maybe a bit "overly comfortable"??? Did you get one that actually fits... or is it *maybe* a bit large for you? If you're getting air into your hood simply because you turn your head it really suggests to me your hood *might* not be fitted right. Not sure why turning your head would cause water to get in your mask... but it suggests a fit issue may be at play there too...

Yup... so my next question is... is hood maybe a bit "overly comfortable"??? Did you get one that actually fits... or is it *maybe* a bit large for you? If you're getting air into your hood simply because you turn your head it really suggests to me your hood *might* not be fitted right. Not sure why turning your head would cause water to get in your mask... but it suggests a fit issue may be at play there too...

Thanks for asking additional questions. The untrimmed hood size small does fit snugly. It's hyperstretch, so it is definitely comfortable. The XS was very tight across the throat and the ears. Like all my other clothes, I am probably between the two sizes. One is too tight and one is too big. :doh2:

The air/water is only entering the hood because of the exhaust bubbles from the reg. If I am inhaling when I turn my head, I am fine. It is the exhale that caused all these problems.

The mask is not being bothered by the hood and movement of the head as much as the reg exhaust. As the exhaust floods into the hood along the side of my cheek bones it runs up my face and catches the seal of my mask. Dislodges it enough to let a trickle of water come in.

I'm also curious whether you noticed this problem during your pool work (the mask issue) during your cert? Were you using the same reg.

It *sounds* like your hood shouldn't be a problem... but the mask puzzles me... I'd suggest that you approach the problem by a series of emination steps (if possible) to make *sure* it's the reg... See if your LDS will let you come puddle around in the pool next time they take a class out... take your current rig... and maybe borrow/rent a different mask from the shop... or reg setup... see if you can dupicate the problem in the pool and then play with changing out pieces.

Now... if you didn't notice the problem during class... the thing to figure out is what has changed (if your primary is the only thing... well.. that pretty much narrows it down...)... but validate that the reg *is* the problem... It could also help to have somebody actually WATCH you and see if they can see what's actually happening...

Interesting problem... I'd love to know what the final resolution is...

(... and I can relate to the size thing... I'm on the *larger* side of the sizing scale... but it's darned hard to find things that fit precisely... a bit loose here... a bit way too tight there... :rofl3:)

Question: Is the "idea" that by trimming back the face opening, I will be making a flatter seal against my face or is the idea to bring the opening back away from the reg exhaust?

If you do not trim the seal it will probably be all over your mask skirt and be pushing it down onto your upper lip. It can get ugly.

The idea is to get the seal to lay as flat as possible to limit bubble entry while covering your skin as fully as possible.

Pete

My issue - exhaust bubbles from my reg were going into my hood and, well, bugging the heck out of me to say the least. Not only was it allowing cold water to enter into the hood, but it was giving me boyancy issues. Great big pockets of air in the head region is not always recommended I am told. The exhaust was also causing me face mask problems. My fab mask had seal and fogging issues for the first time.!
This is a common problem. Poke some holes in the top of your hood. Some brands of hoods come with the holes already there.

I would try a different brand of hood. It sounds like your hood is too big. All you need is a small gap to let air in.

(Sorry - forgot my username / pw and now I have to get 5 posts in before I can send a URL thru).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom