Reg Condition. Let's compare pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
My turn first:

Customer brought this reg in for servicing last week.

"Breathing strangely", he said. "Feels like there's something broken inside".

"Ever drag it on the bottom or through sand?, I bravely asked.

"Never", he said. "I always keep it in my mouth or clipped on. No chance of that whatsoever"...

"OK", I said, "We'll take a look and let you know".

Picture below AFTER half the beach fell out.

IMG_5266.jpg

Custom Regulator - Customer did specify silicone diaphragm, assembly shop only had rubber on hand. Quick thinking shop manager finds "perfect" solution. Too bad Silicone and Silicon are not the same.

Looks like somone has been trying to do some valve lapping.

Probably the worst one I've ever had was a G250 with no o-ring around the venturi assist vane, and fitted with an old USdivers diaphragm. That was immediately after 'service' from an authorized dealer. It's one of the things that set me on the path of servicing my own regs.

I also worked on a MK20 with severe IP creep. It had been used on a liveaboard for marine research in a fairly remote area with no fresh water for soaking. This reg had been used more-or-less daily for several months in salt water and had never been rinsed or soaked. The ambient chamber was badly pitted and the brass piston tip was corroded. Still, with some micromesh and elbow grease I was able to get it working again. Certainly a dealer would have condemned it, maybe rightly so.

To me that sand doesn't look unusually bad, just rinse out the 2nd stage and off you go, unless of course it's due for service otherwise.

To me that sand doesn't look unusually bad, just rinse out the 2nd stage and off you go, unless of course it's due for service otherwise.

1. There was at least a further quarter cup of sand that tumbled out when we opened it.
2. It was due for service which was done.
3. Customer now smilingly concedes that it 'may' have dragged in the sand.
4. If you think that this was bad, his octo looked like he had been using it as a shovel for building sandcastles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom