Reflector to a P7 - Osram

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

odessa.dk

Registered
Reaction score
Hello

What Reflector can i use to a Seoul P7 emittler 14v or a Osram Ostar 21v High power led

from 25mm to 35mm /6-10` + optics very narrow sport ?

i cant find any. I will like to build a Aluminum 3 sport Led

Mvh Mike
Page Title

Last edited:
How about getting a 52mm and cutting it down? You can get one for $6 at DX.

Do you know where to get the Osram LEDs?

Hi 350xfire

Yes i know where to buy the Led in europa LED-Shop by LED-TECH.de

but i will like to have ( 3 + P7 Seoul ) in 1 Aluminum cylinder from 60 - 80mm x 1200mm

Ps in europa you have to pay Hight Tax to get things from US . ( cry,cry,cry ) :)

Mvh Mike

That ostar looks like a pretty high dollar LED. I don't know what the exchange rate is, but I paid about $26 for the SSC P7. Based on that, I would say the ostar is over $100 us.

Thanks for the source. The Ostar is what Salvo uses in their 21W LED light. I just powered my 12W SSC P7 against the 21W LED Salvo and for less than $200, the P7 will stand up to my $1000 Salvo light. I am pretty impressed. No, I am not saying that the P7 puts out as much light, but it will keep up with the Salvo.

I built a "prototype" light with 8 AA batteries, SSCP7 andP7 3-mode driver. Used a D Maglite and built a canister out of PVC pipe. I will post pics later.

That ostar looks like a pretty high dollar LED. I don't know what the exchange rate is, but I paid about $26 for the SSC P7. Based on that, I would say the ostar is over $100 us.

Thanks for the source. The Ostar is what Salvo uses in their 21W LED light. I just powered my 12W SSC P7 against the 21W LED Salvo and for less than $200, the P7 will stand up to my $1000 Salvo light. I am pretty impressed. No, I am not saying that the P7 puts out as much light, but it will keep up with the Salvo.

I built a "prototype" light with 8 AA batteries, SSCP7 andP7 3-mode driver. Used a D Maglite and built a canister out of PVC pipe. I will post pics later.

Please let us know what kind of burn time you're getting from the 8AA's too, I have a light basically all set up for this, I just need the LED, sink, and driver, if you're gettign decent burn times this is what I'm gonna do. thanks!

I grabbed some MCR 20 reflectors as used in the TRI P7 light.
To be honest I find them far to floody for a dive light.
My single P7 blows it away as far as tight focus goes.

Due to the size of the P7/Osram you will find it very hard to get a tight focus from a small reflector.
My next project will have 2 P7s' in MCR20 reflectors for a flood and 3 Q5's using aspheric lenses for a tight spot. I will be able to switch either or both sets of LEDs on.

To be honest I cant really see any benefit in the Osram over the P7.
Its more expencieve
It has a larger point of origin for the light so is harder to focus.
Its less efficent
You need a high voltage pack to run it.
Parts like reflectors and drivers are harder to find.

But in saying that if you wanted the brightest then the Osram seems like the one to use. Although 7 x Q5s may be cheaper and brighter with a tight focus and fit in a 60mm diameter

Please let us know what kind of burn time you're getting from the 8AA's too, I have a light basically all set up for this, I just need the LED, sink, and driver, if you're gettign decent burn times this is what I'm gonna do. thanks!

So far, I have done a max run of 30 minutes straight. I did use the light as I was building it for about another 10-20 minutes. If we look at the energy consumption of the P7 being 2800 mAh at 3.7 volts, I should get close to 2 hours with 6 batteries (theoretical). I would estimate between that and 3 hours since I am feeding the P7 4.8 volts. Additionally, I measured slightly lower than 2800mA through the system.

Also, remember that the 8 AA are 2 packs of 4 in series, then both packs are paralleled. You have to take the batteries out to charge or have 2 separate packs that you can take apart. Packhorse warned me that paralleled batteries do ot charge well.

I bougth 4 D cells 12000 mAh batteries for another P7 I will build. That one should have 4 hours or more.

Here are some pics

IMG_0422.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

More on burntime when I get back from cave diving in Florida. I will be going on the 27th and will test it then. Nicest thing about the AA batteries, is that you can make a very small can.

I just read this. Fraen will be releasing a narrow beam and medium beam reflector solution for the P7 in October 2008.

Great news, if it's true, then it will be easier for us in Europe to build diving lamp. :D

Mvh Mike

Update on battery pack:
I had an 8 AA battery pack made by a place called Batteries Plus. They told me that lead acid batteries have problems charging in parallel, but that NiMH and NICd can be paralleled and charged without problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom