Refinishing tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bowtieman427

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
How or what do you use to repaint or refinish steel tanks. Looking at a set of scuffed up ones and wondering if anyone has ever repainted or even powder coated them ? Should this be done pre or post hydro ?

How or what do you use to repaint or refinish steel tanks. Looking at a set of scuffed up ones and wondering if anyone has ever repainted or even powder coated them ? Should this be done pre or post hydro ?

Actually I was thinking about the pickup bed liner stuff. Rino-something?

if it is going to be done, contact the manufactor and ask them how it should be done.

doing this pre or post hydro will not make much of a difference, it will be the visual inspection that does. VIP inspectors do not have to pass a tank that they think might have damage they cannot see. when you pain or refinish we are unable to tell if the tank was exposed to high heat, been welded, or has a bad gouge that has been covered up.

most of the products used for painting alm tanks can be found or luxfers or catalina site. you have to watch out for any paint that needs high heat to cure the paint. people on here will tell you its fine, and i wont argue with them. a lot of people have done it. if you do not inspect the tank yourself, let the shop that does know you are going to do this and let them see the tank one last time before you do. that way they know the tank was in good condition before the refinishing was done.

hope this helps

Most powder coats cure at 350-450F. The danger temps for aluminum is over 250F and at 350 you are asking to really screw up the heat treatment. So, NEVER POWDER COAT AN ALUMINUM TANK.

As for primers and paints, there are hundreads of threads on how to do it, try the search function.

just found this what you guys think
http://www.finishing.com/253/63.shtml
you think any validity to it. They claim to not take original finish off. I guess it depends on how bad it is. If the steel is calvanized and no RUST I would assume the method above is the best way to go ?
If there is rust I would think you would want to get rid of it

If your tanks are galvanized, you could try lightly sanding them and spraying some ZRC galvanizing compound. If they're steel tanks and not galvanized, I would not buy them, except Fabers which have a very tough painted finish.

You don't want a finish that would obscure the stampings. You also don't want to use a finish that requires heat or that a dive shop or tank inspector would even think used heat.

I painted my steel tanks with BBQ paint....and when they got hot from a fill, it smells like my grill and makes me hungry for steak...

How or what do you use to repaint or refinish steel tanks. Looking at a set of scuffed up ones and wondering...

Does anyone really care what their tanks LOOK like? Apparently so, I guess. But I'm not sure why anyone would do anything that could compromise the working integrity of the tank in order to improve how it LOOKS? Each his own, I guess.

Does anyone really care what their tanks LOOK like? Apparently so, I guess. But I'm not sure why anyone would do anything that could compromise the working integrity of the tank in order to improve how it LOOKS? Each his own, I guess.

you know the women do. they have to be color matching and the such even in the water. they have to look good for the fish. forget the fact that we lose color at depth. we have a hot pink tank in the shop. dont think anyone but a women will buy it if we sell it at all.

Back
Top Bottom