Referencing Length Traveled on Reel/Spool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reach your modifed thirds turning pressure in a wreck; start reeling in your line and make a mental note of how far you penetrated by looking at the illuminated color pattern of your line markers, and also look around to see where you are presently inside the ship.

Seems simple and apparently utilitarian to me.

...or you could tie a knot in your line before rewinding it. You can measure how much line there is before the knot later, and there is nothing to remember.

Sure for a simple in & out turn-around, one knot tied is useful at your furthest point in (and measure it afterwards). But to reference other passages and areas you'd like to explore on subsequent penetrations? For convenience a graduated pre-marked line is preferred. The only knots/bends you should be tying inside a wreck is for setting up a permanent mainline --or worst case: trying to find the other end of your cut reel-line:confused::11: !

One method I like is to use a sharpie and a multiple. I'll use 50' for this example. Mark the line once at 50', twice at 100', three times at 150', etc. etc. When you turn and start reeling if the first mark you come to has six marks, you know its 300'. This method works good and there is nothing to interfere with winding. Make sure you mark the reel with your multiple, especially if you have more than one reel with different multiples. Just my two bubbles..

One method I like is to use a sharpie and a multiple. I'll use 50' for this example. Mark the line once at 50', twice at 100', three times at 150', etc. etc. When you turn and start reeling if the first mark you come to has six marks, you know its 300'. This method works good and there is nothing to interfere with winding. Make sure you mark the reel with your multiple, especially if you have more than one reel with different multiples. Just my two bubbles..

Should work quite well if 50' is as accurate as you need.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom