Reels, Types, Uses, storsge, and sizes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wreck/Tec

Contributor
Reaction score
For those of us who use them they are a useful tool, if not invaluable. What type do you prefer? How, how many, and where do you prefer to carry these reels. Have you modifieed your reel to make it more user friendly? What tips do you have for easier use of a reel? How much did you pay? Was your reel a good investment? What is your opinion of reels, Example, are they necessary?

Reels - Love them. Use them on Wreck and cave dives (when I can go caving). I have used DR's Red (primary reels) and Blue safety reels. But I am now using Halcyon's 400 ft Pathfinder reel with the cold water srew. I like the reel, easy to reel in and well made.

Spools - Carry 1 or 2 on all dives. Thinking of getting the cold water spool that Scott Koplin is selling via Oxycheq. Great, simple and jam proof.

Eric

I use DR reels. I like them very much. They can jam easily if you are not careful but with minimal practice that can be avoided. I carry mine up around my hips on my back. Keeps them from dragging in the mud. I have made mo modifications ecxept to add a ball to the end of the primary. As far as practice, I have done some on land (a nice forested area works well) and some in open water. You wouldn't believe how much better you get with just a little practice in an open environment.

I carry one - A DiveRite (the red one) and use it for limited wreck pen. or when I'm being stupid and poking around in places I shouldn't be. I really like them (diverite) as their almost idiot proof. did have the little e-clip come off while my buddy was sending up a bag. caused a jam and ripped the reel out of his hands.

I keep mine on my hip/back like Sexy above metioned. seems to keep it out of the way.

Would like to hear reviews on the "Manta" reels with the funky ratchet do-hicky. Groovy? Junk? they sure are $$$.

Ericfine50 --> you mentioned Koplin - is he still making backplates? (been out of continent for a while)

Will

ericfine50 once bubbled...
Spools - Carry 1 or 2 on all dives. Thinking of getting the cold water spool that Scott Koplin is selling via Oxycheq. Great, simple and jam proof.

Pardon my ignorance, but how do you jam a spool :confused:

I've had some pretty decent birdnests and managed to jam a reel before, but I have never jammed a spool. Did I just misunderstand your statement, or is there something I am missing here?

ericfine50 once bubbled...
I said jam proof. That is why Ilove them. can't mess them up. Easy to use.

Eric

K, just making sure. Your previous post kinda sounded like only the cold water spool you mentioned was jam proof, which made me wonder if I had been missing something. <whew>

sexysadie once bubbled...
As far as practice, I have done some on land (a nice forested area works well) and some in open water. You wouldn't believe how much better you get with just a little practice in an open environment.

Very true! BTW SS, I don't think I have seen you around the board before. Have you stopped in to check out our Texas Swamp Diving Team forum? Great bunch of people!

Sorry if I was unclear. The cold water spool has a larger center hub for the ticker gloves. I hear they are great.

Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom