Reels of death?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who knows. IMO it was mainly because he was our version of Cool Hand Luke. There was never an official explanation, because it is not the policy of the officials to provide an explanation.

He has a background in commercial spearfishing. Many people who spearfish commercially have an approach to diving that is not considered safe when applied to recreational dives, and that's certainly true in his case. I have a great deal of respect for him, and consider it unfortunate that he and the moderators were unable to find common ground.
dang I always enjoyed that guy, he might not of done things the way I would but you have to respect a survivor

Maybe that's less of a problem with the webbing, maybe I just had poor technique.

I found the webbing to be significantly easier to manage than braided line of any size. I doubt technique is a significant factor since I'm not that good or smart.

I can't remember needing to shoot a bag in shallow water to avoid boat traffic, but conditions are different all over the world. The dive you describe is another great example of how divers need to choose the right tool for the job.

If that was the case, why not state it clearly?

If that was the case, why not state it clearly?

Because then it opens up the staff to having to justify every ban, regardless of reason, and not everyone has simply been banned for overstaying their welcome.

It's like being fired from a company, the line is always, "Wile E. Coyote has decided to pursue other opportunities outside of ACME Appliances and Bombmaking Supplies. We thank him for his service and wish him well in his future endeavors."

Sort of like HR only being able to say, "Yes, Wile E. Coyote was employed here at some time." Anything more causes issues.

He tended to encourage and glorify unsafe diving practices.
I'd like to see a reliable cite for that claim.

I have shot SMB from depth with reels several times. It is like casting, I want a very slight drag before the lure reaches the water to prevent over run. Once bag is up and running I apply a very light amount of pressure with my glove. Used spools a few times but did not like them as well. Plus I use the reel in low viz situations some times so I have it with me anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom