Reel for Dive flag/Surface Marker Buoy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Used this setup for years. 100 feet of line with knots every 10 feet so that I knew how much line was out. Snap connector on the end for attaching to the float.
Worked great for me !!

Divegoose

View attachment 637074
I used to use one of those for my flag (the kind with the styrofoam ball and a lead weight under that). Then, on one trip I forgot it and grabbed a reel from my sad bag. It's just a diverite safety reel. I found that I like using a reel much better than the yellow handle thing and never went back.

That said, the diverite reel is a lot more expensive. If I didn't already own it, I'd consider the one @The Chairman mentioned. Seems to be a good balance of price/function.

I use a finger spool for my smb.

I was going to be funny and post a kite reel but when I looked up Kie Reels I saw some of the same reels in this post listed as Kite Reel. Even saw some chalk line reels that may do this..... (no chalk on lines, have to add that yourself so its just the line) Lots of options out there.

I use a finger spool for my smb.
It's the only way if you are going to shoot it from depth.

Resurrecting an old thread because the photo links appear to be broken. Is the cheap clicker reel suggested by the Chairman and recommended by a few one of these?

Like OP, I just want to tow a dive flag. Sometimes a current, but 3+ knots is exceedingly rare; typically less than 1.

Resurrecting an old thread because the photo links appear to be broken. Is the cheap clicker reel suggested by the Chairman and recommended by a few one of these?

Like OP, I just want to tow a dive flag. Sometimes a current, but 3+ knots is exceedingly rare; typically less than 1.
I have more line out than that when diving deeper in very brisk current

There's a 270ft version as well.
I use a Manta JR with DGX Dacron line, more line than with normal nylon line.

If you want to spend arguably too much on arguably the best reel, Kent Tooling makes absolutely excellent reels. They work better and fowl less often than the manta reels. They're quite heavy though. Which is good when you want to put it down as an effective flag anchor, but bad some other times when you're lugging it around. Works as a trim weight when you carry it which can be good or bad.
Got a link?

Rember you need to use your Trigernomity to calculate how many lines you will need for an SMB at 40 FSW or 60 FSW. Keep in mind the SMB will be at an angle behind you as you swim around. Myself, I carry at usally 75 feet of line on a finger spool meant for 100ft of line (see and/or for ow to set up a spool.) for putting up a SMB from 20-30 FSW just before I surface. Personally, I prefer a thumb reel. As I ascend I wind it up, pulling myself slowly towards the surface as I do so. DANGER: Any line in the water with any slack on it, can and will wrap around you and has the ability to kill! Simple works and costs less. Complicated is more likely to fail than simple.

Of course, never clip an SMB to you while you are underwater. In Southern CALIFORNIA anything you put up on the surface to show you are below may (most likely will) be picked up by a jetski or boater who will take off at full speed saying look what I found! The next thing you know your day of SCUBA Diving is now a day of waterskiing behind the aforementioned boat or idiot whatever you prefer to call them.

These plastic reels have been around awhile. The pawl 'spring' is a tensioned piece of plastic that is a part of the pawl. The line is #18.
They are certainly affordable and will work. I would not expect it to last. Yes, I have one.
You can jump a couple of tiers up and get something all stainless, and available in right and left hand configuration like this

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom