Reel for Dive flag/Surface Marker Buoy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gqllc007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there any one who makes a reel that you can use for the Surface Dive Buoy? Looking for a reel with a line already on it and possibly a thumb stop to use with the dive flag. I have been looking on Amazon and there doesn't seem to be one with great reviews. So not looking for a cave reel but looking for the same concept except for the surface marker buoy....I looked at dive rite and the safety reel handle is too small and so is the "winding" knob

I've used this one for years. It's cheap and works. www.DiveRightInScuba.com has plenty on hand...

150-dive-reel_1.webp

150 ft. Dive Reel

I've used that type of reel for pulling a float and even holding a kayak and it works well and the single handle ratcheting action is very nice. However, with 150 ft line capacity, it will not work in strong currents and deep water. You will want a larger and probably more robust reel.

What is "deep" for pulling a float and what is a strong current? Deeper than 60 feet and 3/4 of a knot, might be a good guess.

Something like this works well for deep and currents, but it costs 7 or 8 times as much..

Manta Senior (SR) Reel

If you want to spend arguably too much on arguably the best reel, Kent Tooling makes absolutely excellent reels. They work better and fowl less often than the manta reels. They're quite heavy though. Which is good when you want to put it down as an effective flag anchor, but bad some other times when you're lugging it around. Works as a trim weight when you carry it which can be good or bad.

same reel as Pete, but got it (with my float) through @MAKO Spearguns. Been using it for a few years, and really like it.

For latching type reels, I do own: Manta Jr. (not good for this use), Kent Tooling (unbelieveable reels), DiveRite Slide Lock Safety Reel (havent tried it yet with a float), and probably a few others...

I pick up used reels/spools for much less than new, so I have a good collection I've played with.

For a float, I think it is the best bang for your buck.

YMMV

40'? Just spend $20 on the aforementioned plastic clicker reel and be done with it.
That was my thought process as well.....no more than 65' but 30-40 will be the norm...we will be senior citizens LOL

Is there any one who makes a reel that you can use for the Surface Dive Buoy? Looking for a reel with a line already on it and possibly a thumb stop to use with the dive flag. I have been looking on Amazon and there doesn't seem to be one with great reviews. So not looking for a cave reel but looking for the same concept except for the surface marker buoy....I looked at dive rite and the safety reel handle is too small and so is the "winding" knob

I prefer spools but yes a reel can be used. Pretty much any reel. I have a Dive Rite Wreck Reel and a Larry Green Cave Reel that I've used. Many down here in South Florida like the Manta reels because they have a stopping mechanism built into the handle. I prefer spools because (1) my SMBs are pre-rigged and attached to the spools in my pocket and (2) they cannot foul and lock up. I do use a small Dive Rite Sidewinder reel on the dive float I use for shore diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom