Reefs on 60 Minutes Tonight!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lucscuba

New
Reaction score
Hi Guys -

First post for me! I just wanted to make you all aware of a great piece by Anderson Cooper tonight on 60 Minutes regarding reef ecology - I'm watching it right now - lots of great underwater footage.

For those on the West Coast, be sure to catch it when it comes on! If you're missing it on the East Coast now, find a place to watch it online!

Cheers!
Luc

Reactions: Jax
I watched it- great message, nice images of a brilliant Cuban Caribbean reef that exists likely only because Fidel was a diver, himself.

The "Islands of the Queen" lying of the Southern shore will have survived Anderson Cooper's visit, but there was some damage.

We counted a definite coral grab, three or more kneeling/standing poses on the reef, one solid bash of a barrel sponge by a dangling SPG, and a quick hand-grab at a Shark.

Can't help but wonder what was edited out.

I don't normally watch 60 Minutes anymore. But my girlfriend yelled at me to turn it on.

It was a great piece. The colors were outstanding. Love those big groupers!

I saw Anderson holding onto a coral as well. The pillar coral at the beginning was amazing to me.

I did not know Fidel dived either.

For those who hate the Lionfish, the reefs in this area are rich and healthy and on one clip I saw two Lionfish apparently in harmony with other life there. This is in accord with the reports from Bahamas where the Lionfish are also reported to have reached an equilibrium with other fish and actually groom the coral of algae.

Adam

What the piece and scientists are suggesting that IF larger specimens of apex predators are present, this may be the reason... the Lionfish are being eaten.

Lionfish do not eat algae, they eat the fish that eat the algae, thus the concern that Lionfish pose a greater risk of Ciguatera poisoning.

Reef conservation zones provide the environment for Groupers and Cuda to get quite large. Likely, if this stasis has been reached in "the Bahamas", I would lay odds that it is occurring nowhere near Grand Bahama or Nassau. The out-islands, maybe.

I think that this video clearly shows that if people protect the reefs then they will do just fine whether lionfish are hunted or not.

It would of been much better if AC would of shown some respect for the reef and keep off it.

Who would have thought – of all people – that Castro would declare the area an ecological do-not-touch zone. I'm surprised Cuba even allow an American team to visit; and even more surprised the American government gave permission to travel to Cuba.

What the piece and scientists are suggesting that IF larger specimens of apex predators are present, this may be the reason... the Lionfish are being eaten.
I don't think the piece suggess that. Actually, the piece is at odds with itself, at one point suggesting it being the most prestine reef and fish diversity, and at another point the researcher says the lionfish are eating the local fish up. The piece didn't reconcile this difference.

Who would have thought – of all people – that Castr0 would declare the area an ecological do-not-touch zone. I'm surprised Cub4 even allow an American team to visit; and even more surprised the American government gave permission to travel to Cub4.
Journalist and a host of other non-tourists could visit cub4. I will be calling Anderson for some Hab4n0s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom