Reef Hook

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Susie

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just checking but I will not need my reef hook to dive around Koh Phi Phi for a week will I? Even if I go south to the other islands?
Thanks
Susie

I have only used a reef hook once in my life in a killer current in Fiji. I am a bit taken back at being called a troll and assuming I destroy corals etc. I am sorry you feel the need to jump to this conclusion. I am a rather considerate diver and DM. I am looking forward to diving in beautiful Thailand, not harming it.
Yours truely,
Susie

Such a question too me is so out of reason, including the many dives I've done at Phi Phi, that it sounds along the lines of "is it ok to spearfish at Phi Phi?" "Is it ok to light a fire on Mt. Tam?" type of question.

Please leave the reef hook at home.

To be fair the OP was just asking a simple question. I see no need to jump on her and call her names! You don't know what you don't know and you can only find out by asking. :wink:

To answer the question - no you won't need a reef hook in Thailand. Generally the guides keep you out of heavy currents but it's always been mandatory where I've been that everyone carries their own safety sausage so that IF you do by chance get blown off a reef into blue water you can make your own ascent and the boat will see you to pick you up.

Moonwrasse, have you ever used a reef hook or been on a dive where it would be considered useful? Have you even seen one?

Perhaps a more considerate and polite answer to the query would have been along the lines of:

"No, reef hooks aren't necessary in the Phi Phi area as all of the dives either drifting along shallow reefs, walls, etc with minimal current (i will let you fill that in as i have not been there) instead of the corner or pass type dives with raging currents where a reef hook comes in handy to remain in place to watch the action."

Diving around Phuket, in general, is drift diving. Boat drops you off, you drift,
boat picks you up (some light swimming involved).

Always a good idea to pack your own safety sausage, however many folk don't.

Mike Veitch:
Moonwrasse, have you ever used a reef hook or been on a dive where it would be considered useful? Have you even seen one?

Perhaps a more considerate and polite answer to the query would have been along the lines of:

"No, reef hooks aren't necessary in the Phi Phi area as all of the dives either drifting along shallow reefs, walls, etc with minimal current (i will let you fill that in as i have not been there) instead of the corner or pass type dives with raging currents where a reef hook comes in handy to remain in place to watch the action."
Your personal attacks have no place on Scubboard.
Please refrain from doing so in the future.

Thank you.

Personal attacks? Calling someone with a honest question a troll is the personal attack here.

Scuba Susie:
Just checking but I will not need my reef hook to dive around Koh Phi Phi for a week will I? Even if I go south to the other islands?
Thanks
Susie

Dear Susie,

We are not usually like that here on SB, I assure you. As someone said, hey you don't know what you don't know, right? I think Moon must be having a bad day :ne_nau: I see you have been around for a couple of years actually.

Anyway, the real reason I popped on was to see if there was any space in that suitcase of yours :) If there happens to be, may I come along? :D

Have a wonderful time and if you take pics, please be so kind as to share them with us.

Oh and Moon, for you: http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2403533&postcount=1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom