Reef Hook

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MoonWrasse:
Diving around Phuket, in general, is drift diving. Boat drops you off, you drift,
boat picks you up (some light swimming involved).

Always a good idea to pack your own safety sausage, however many folk don't.
Your concern is duly noted, but you could have chosen a more tempered tone for your response.

Reef hooks have legitimate purposes (ask photographers) and can be used in environmentally responsible ways.

They can be abused and can cause destruction, also, but so can many other items to include bulky consoles and the fins of clumsy divers.

The mere fact that a diver uses a reef hook does not make that diver suspect, nor that use illegitimate or destructive.

The question is not foolish, the OP has likely not been there before and is trying to get some idea of the standard operating procedures there.

FYI...

Doc

Miss, you are such a sweetheart...:10:

just use your hands and grab whatever you can, dead or alive...

JUST KIDDING...

I did a 1 week liveaboard to the area last Christmas and we only came across a mildly stiff current maybe at one site (purple rock? which can be reached by speedboat from Phi Phi). Had a nice manta encounter there. But if you stay near the rocks, the currents weren't a problem.

Now someone in our group did pull out a reef hook... :wink:

:hijack:

Happy Birthday!

:balloon :hb2: :balloon​

Susie, have a wonderful time on your birthday today. I'm guessing the real celebration will take place later. Anyway, have a great day today.

Hey you SB'ers!
Thank you all very much for your imput!
And thank you for the great Birthday wishes!
By the way,
I used my reef hook to swing from the chandeliers at my birthday party. No one seemed to mind! :)
Susie

Allthoug I do understand the reaction of the moonwrasse,
I think it was"a litlle" to strong so maybe you should say "sorry for you bad hair day":D

But in general i do not agree with reefhooks or the likes, most people using them use the wrong,and do damage the corals, so just maybe this was the intended piont:confused:

So please shake hands and go dive :D

MoonWrasse:
Your personal attacks have no place on Scubboard.
Please refrain from doing so in the future.

Thank you.

Wow.

All I can say is, wow....

My jaw really dropped when I read this one.

SB is so entertaining, as well as educational.

In defence of reef hooks - my experience is that they can actually reduce reef damage when used correctly and in the right conditions.

Indeed without them there are a number of sites (worldwide, not particulary Thailand which is pretty tame compared to some locations) that would have to be closed to divers during current because of the damage that would occur without their use.

I find mine very useful for pushing up inside my mask to scratch the inside of my nose - but then if you have seen my nose you would understand

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom