Reef Divers Expanding Fleet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was the Sea Dreamer they took delivery of while we were there Kathy. As for the bow access, I believe you can still go up there between dives when the boat is not moving, but I think when the boat is underway, they want everybody off the bow.

Yes but this is for the Caymans where wave- action is not so bad. I don’t mind waiting until the next-to-last diver goes up. Personally, I despise christmas tree ladders. As I’ve gotten older, Getting up the last step on an I-beam ladder sucks.

I agree that in places like NJ it’s different. Impossible to remove fins before climbing the ladder and really bad wave action requires it.
Agreed - never had an issue with removing fins and scrambling up the ladder on Cayman dive boats - much prefer that to clmbing a ladder and getting on a boat with fins still on. I also almost always put my fins on in the water too (unless there are stronger currents) - don't like "waddling" across the deck to the platform to jump off...

It was the Sea Dreamer they took delivery of while we were there Kathy. As for the bow access, I believe you can still go up there between dives when the boat is not moving, but I think when the boat is underway, they want everybody off the bow.

I hope so, they just told us that "our insurance agent no longer lets us allow guests up on the bow".

Not surprised. You are not supposed to sit out on the bow when the boat is underway in many jurisdictions when it is covered under a commercial policy. Just like on commercial catamarans where you can sit on the netting they usually have a painted line that you cannot be outside while the vessel is in motion. Just standard operating practice. Now if you are on a commercial boat in a jurisdiction that does make them have insurance, where you sit probably wouldn’t be a concern to the op either

Not surprised. You are not supposed to sit out on the bow when the boat is underway in many jurisdictions when it is covered under a commercial policy. Just like on commercial catamarans where you can sit on the netting they usually have a painted line that you cannot be outside while the vessel is in motion. Just standard operating practice. Now if you are on a commercial boat in a jurisdiction that does make them have insurance, where you sit probably wouldn’t be a concern to the op either
Being a boat owner for many years, we never let anyone sit on the forward deck of any of our closed bow powerboats while moving! This is because if someone falls off while underway they will almost 100% get run over and become propeller food! It's a bad idea unless the boat has fixed forward seating (like a bowrider). Sailboats under sail are less of an issue as you'll just be going for a swim :)

I so appreciate your response. Comments like they said or someone told me are irrelevant and misleading. If you have a private boat or an op you totally get it. Otherwise you are paraphrasing something you don’t understand. I am delighted you commented as someone who understands what is actually at risk.

I live in a beach resort area of Long Island (Montauk/Hamptons) the Coast Guard will stop and ticket someone if they have anyone riding on the bow.I have been a boat owner all my life and agree with this policy 100%.

I have observed the Coast Guard/Marine patrol/DEC (all of them patrol this area) sitting at Montauk Inlet watching and when they spot someone on the bow they will make the stop.

I will say that most of the boat operators in Cayman are very safety conscious but I have seen some dangerous practices by one.

The bow thing applies to sailboats under power as well... I got yelled at by the CG, except we were preparing to dock. He reluctantly backed down :wink:

Some iconic movie images symbolizing freedom and embracing life and the vigor of the sea. Of course things didn't work out too well for these folks so maybe that should serve as a warning to foolhardy people like me!

But if a pods of dolphins shows up again, that will be hard to resist! :wink:

titanic.jpg

titanic2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom