Reef Divers Expanding Fleet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A dive instructor here at Cayman Brac Beach Resort said that 2 new Newton dive boats are on order. He thought that one of them will be going to LCBR.

A divemaster said today that one of the new boats is due to arrive on Brac tomorrow. Apparently all of their resorts have been busy. They have been running 4 boats at both LCBR and CBBR and 2 boats at CCGCR, so the first thing that they will do with the new boats is to relieve some other boats that are due for maintenance. They have to take boats to GC for maintenance.

They had just taken delivery of a brand new 46' newton on LC when we were there in August.

They had just taken delivery of a brand new 46' newton on LC when we were there in August.

Yes, I think that it may be the Sea Dreamer, see pic below. It was docked at CBBR one day when we were there last week. I heard that it was purchased for LCBR a few months back. That's Divemaster Barbie on the dock.

IMG_2238.JPG

Here is one of the newest boats, the Island Dreamer. The new boats are all "Dreamers" rather than "Sisters". They were fitting it out while we were on Brac.

I was told that the new boats "cost a half a million dollars each" but I don't know if that is CID or USD - but it is a lot of money. It looks like it has shower heads mounted under the roof on the back deck.

IMG_2265.JPG

IMG_2268.JPG

IMG_2277.JPG

IMG_2276.JPG

Wow, there is nothing like that new boat smell! IMO, Reef divers runs the finest large operation in the Caribbean with great boats and staff. I look forward to lounging on the spacious bow between dives.

Wow, there is nothing like that new boat smell! IMO, Reef divers runs the finest large operation in the Caribbean with great boats and staff. I look forward to lounging on the spacious bow between dives.

I agree but I'm afraid that will no longer be possible. Last week on Ocean Sister they told us that their insurance company no longer allows guests to venture out onto the bows of their boats. You will have to be content with sitting up on the top level - I'm sorry!

It makes me a little sad. One of my all-time favorite memories is standing on the bow of a Dancer liveaboard in the Turks and Caicos and watching a pod of dolphins race and jump alongside the boat while the music of the Eurythmics was playing in the background; very aptly they were singing these words:

"Sweet dreams are made of this
Who am I to disagree?
I travel the world
And the seven seas,
Everybody's looking for something..."

Oh well. The upper deck ain't too shabby.

My guess is that if we were to run into a pod of dolphins, the whole boat, including DM would be out on the bow irregardless of insurance issues.

..I was told that the new boats "cost a half a million dollars each"....
I suppose a shop could load it up with extras and the engine package is a big part too. But a 46 Newton splashed is in the 350K to 400K range USD. Used ones that size can go for ~$200K. I love their boats but hate their standard ladders, give it a christmas tree !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom