Reef Club, Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barb

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm off to Mexico and am trying a new place to stay so would really appreciate all the information I can get.

If anyone has suggestions about the best placed room for divers, what to eat at the buffet/what NOT to eat, room comfort, etc...

I've heard the Reef Club isn't the greatest place to stay but the price difference was significant compared to where I usually stay.

Thanks all :)
Barb

I stayed at the Reef Club in Feb 2001.
Food and rooms were OK. There is a new part to the resort that was under construction when I was there.....studios, suites, pool and a new restaurant in the northwest part of the property. These are probably the closest rooms to the dive shop. The pier (at the Sand Dollar dive shop) is a couple of hundred yards up the beach. You have to stay in the studio or suites (higher price) to eat at the new restaurant and, I believe, use the new pool. If you like all-inclusives, the Iberostar is much nicer.

Pass on a top floor room. Those grass roofs only keep most of the rain out (mosquitos too).

Quite a haul to the dock even from the rooms on the north beach.

I stayed at the Reef Club in Feb 2002. It was nice, and everything was pretty good, but I wouldn't say it was great.
Pluses:
1) By dumb luck, our group ended up with two adjoining, ground level, ocean front rooms. It was nice to be able to walk out the door and right onto the beach.
2) Friendly staff.
3) Clean.
4) Like every all-inclusive, there was always something to eat or drink.
5) No hassles, extra charges, or surprises.
6) It's a very short boat trip to the prime dive spots.

Minuses:
1) The rooms that aren't on the beach are in a maze of separate buildings that really isolate you from the ocean and the pool area.
2) The food was ok, but they didn't waste much money trying to keep it warm.
3) It's a long way from town. You can easily catch a cab, but it seems to me it was around 150 pesos one way including tip. Don't hold me to that number, but that is our recollection. At any rate, it was enough that we didn't go running to town more than we needed to.
4) I'm getting picky now, but they seemed to have a chronic shortage of some snacks, like nachos. They would put out a batch, a horde of people would line up to get some, and then they would be gone.
5) You have to walk a few hundred yards down the beach to the dock to meet the dive boat. Not really a big deal, but a hassle if you have to carry your gear.

I'd go back to Reef Club again for a lower-price all-inclusive.

But that's where we're going TG week. Let me know what you think when you get back, will ya'?

thanks, don

Reef Club was fine, it just wasn't great. The cold food and the quality of the food was really the biggest disappointment, but I think I still managed to gain weight on that trip.

It's better all-around than Reef Club.

*Food is excellent and plentiful
*Rooms are slightly more spacious
*FREE Bottled water provided each day in your rooms (Reef Club gives you 1 bottle then you have to find coolers to refill yourself or buy your own $$$)
*Great dive shop on premises right off of main pool area (no walk through jungle and up/down cliff to get to the boats) You can request rooms closer to the docks when making reservations.
*Very nice dive gear lockers with ample rinse tanks
*No tipping accepted by staff - ever! (Reef Club has tip jars everywhere)
*Dive sites only 5-10mins from dock, boats come back to resort between dives

I Stayed there a year ago.. I think it is too far from town. Also, some of our folks on the bottom floors experienced some minor theft. The telephones were really expensive.

The newer section is a lot better than the old. But, I wouldn't recommend it. By the time you add up the cab fares to town, I think it costs the same as a better place to stay.

Well call me cheap but for my $$, The Barracuda Hotel. Why you ask ?
1. Walking distance to town after diving 3 tanks a day.
2. Boats pick you up right at your hotel door...well almost, you get the picture.
3. The boats pick up divers at the Barracuda first and you get your choice of spots on the boats first.
4. No frills, no TV, did you come to watch TV or DIVE ! ?
5. Night dives right off the hotel if you want to do night shore dives.
6. Storage lockers right next to the dock, no carrying gear up to your rooms.
7.Price was right
8. Grocery store 2 blocks away, save money on snacks, beer, fruit etc. Stock up the fridge with goodies instead of spending money every time you get the munchies.
I think you get the picture. You will be happy. If you want to know theGOOD " restaurants that are not on the strip and serve authentic Mexican food and won't break the bank, let me know. I will give you a list of places to eat that beat all restaurants on the strip hands down. Good Divin, George

My fiancee & I stayed at the Ref Club for a week in April of 2003.
This was shortly after the fire in the restraunt.

We were pleasantly surprised with the entire operation.

Food was good to Excellent
Breakfast was warm and fresh omelets were excellent with Mimosas or Bloody Mary's if so desired

We ate lunch at snack bar between 3 tank dives- Normal burgers with hot french fries

Dinner theme changed each evening- We enjoyed all but one night

Rooms were very clean; No leaks during rain ; No smells; Maid service was excellent

Very nice beach with some marine life to be seen while snorkeling; not a night dive location though

Evening activities were family oriented except in Adult pool area

My fiancee did not like being so far from town; but I enjoyed peace and quiet

Drinks and social activities at Adult pool were great

We would definitely go here again and have reccomended to our diving friends in Texas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom