Redundant Computer

Do you dive with a redundant computer?

• Yes

Votes: 68 41.5%
  • No

Votes: 96 58.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
I'm trying very hard to get to the point where I feel comfortable diving with just a depth gauge and bottom timer. In the meantime, because I'm human and sometimes don't have the bandwidth I wish I had, I use a Suunto Mosquito. As it happens, I have a Cobra that I no longer use, because I prefer the wrist location . . . but when we go to the BVI in April, I will take the Cobra and its hose with me in case there is a malfunction in the Mosquito. The biggest reason for doing so is that I do not own another instrument with the ability to measure depth. I have a watch that will give me dive time, but until or unless I buy something new, I need the computers as depth gauages.

You could trade in your Cobra and buy a whole bunch of depth guages. I alway dive with back-up analog mini SPG and depth gauge, along with my computers.

I don't use a backup computer, but I do keep a my old depth gauge in my bag. If my computer quits, I can re-assemble my console and use my watch. If it fails on a dive, I would either rely on my buddies computer if he had been diving the same series of dives or call it and revert to tables.

As far as trusting the computer goes...I try to pre-plan the dive and know what my max bottom time is without relying on the computer. So far it and I agree but I don't like the idea of heading down without some kind of plan and that has to take ndl into account on deeper dives. Again...if one computer fails among buddies, having a plan in place keeps you from having to blindly rely on just one computer or calling the dive (I would only not call the dive if I knew the maximum depth, the ndl time at that depth, and had plenty of gas left).

No, I don't use a back-up computer...
Wait a second I don't even have a computer
Anybody wanna lend me a computer or two so I can have a back up?:D

Shopping list: Computer, redundant computer, batteries, redundant batteries...

When diving from a boat I take along twice as many dive computers as I would for shore diving. When on a multiday diving trip I will take along four times as many and when diving in a remote area I will take along ten times as many.

I now dive two computers by default. The Uwatec SmartCom has become my back-up to the SmartZ after discoving my preference for a wrist mount computer.

I voted "No," yet I dive with a redundant depth gage and timer, i.e., Citizen dive watch. I suppose some might consider it a computer, but it doesn't calculate nitrogen tables. :11: Uh oh! I might have to break out those dive tables again someday!!!

Yes; I need back-up computer or digital depth gauge and timer

TSandM:
I'm trying very hard to get to the point where I feel comfortable diving with just a depth gauge and bottom timer.
Why? What is the benefit?

What benefit is there to having just your memory of the dive profile vs. having both the computer and your brain paying attention?

One can dive the same profile whether one uses a bottom timer/depth gauge, or a computer.

------------

As to the backup computer question, on an exotic trip I bring one along, but leave it on the boat.

If my computer were to fail, the most I would lose is 1 dive, and 1 dive only. More likely, I'd just add a bit more offgassing time to the following dive, and perhaps a bit more SI before it.

There are reasonable methods of moving from a computer to tables, and then back to a backup computer.

Outside of dead battery, the failure rates of non-air integrated computers are low enough that I'll accept the minor risk of having to make one dive extra conservativley, rather than carrying excess gear along on each and every dive.

Charlie99:
One can dive the same profile with or without the computer.

------------

As to the backup computer question, on an exotic trip I bring one along and leave it on the boat.

If my computer were to fail, the most I would lose is 1 dive, and 1 dive only. More likely, I'd just add a bit more offgassing time to the following dive, and perhaps a bit more SI before it....
These statements seem to contradict each other. If you can dive the same profiles with or without a computer, then why would you lose a dive if your primary computer fails? And why would you need to add offgassing and SI? After all... it's the same profile...

And I'm also assuming that your brain is not disengaged and you are checking your computer periodically before it fails? So you have a pretty good idea what your depth and run time is at that point, right? So it's pretty easy to just finish up the dive with a normal ascent and SI... unless of course you were riding the "NDL" limits :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom