Redundant Computer

Do you dive with a redundant computer?

• Yes

Votes: 68 41.5%
  • No

Votes: 96 58.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That sets off my weird-o-meter. I can't imagine that anybody would build a handheld device that ran a mathematical model of estimated batery life instead of simply measuring the voltage.

Terry

drbill:
However, it has me looking at a backup computer to dive with in the future. My Uwatec Aladin Pro showed I had 39% remaining battery life when it failed (due to what my LDS believes is a dead battery). I was surprised to learn that the battery indicator is based on a mathematical table rather than a direct read of the battery's voltage. I think those that designed the table must have taken New Math.

An obvious sign the designer and the designers' team were not end users of the product (and didn't solicit enough input from the end users of the product).

I agree, this is one for a true numbers nerd. I couldn't have even thought of such a concept!

Probably trying to get around the voltage drop in colder temps or the steep voltage drop of lithium cells.

Perfect example of engineering a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.

You could start a poll . . .

i use Suunto Mosquito and a Citizen hyperaqualand as back up. i did not vote as my back up tracks my depth, my ascent rate , temp but not my RNL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom