Redundant air with SM configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP, you need to take an actual sidemount class with an actual sidemount instructor, not one of those self-certifying PADI types.

I had assumed you were just diving sidemount gear in what's essentially single tank diving but with a "really big pony," something I disagree with but accept that some people do this, but it seems like you're confused with the entire concept of sidemount diving at a very basic level.

Even a single day of instruction will significantly help you out and get you set on the right path. This isn't a judgement, you dive how you want to dive, but you'll be significantly more successful with some actual instruction.
I plan to. I actually plan on taking many more classes but right now my job as a commercial fisherman doesn't allow me to schedule anything. It took me years to find time to do a 1 on 1 OW course. In January I will be starting a new career though which has a 2 weeks on 2 weeks off schedule. I'm making this move so that I can have time to progress as a diver as I want to do it all as far as diving is concerned and I know that isn't possi le in my current line of work.

Thanks for the advice.

I am diving side mount doubles, usually around 45-65fsw, but sometimes deeper. What is an acceptable amount of redundant air to carry, if any? I have a 3cf spare air that I shouldn't have bought but I didn't know better when I got it. I also have a 19cf pony bottle.

Part of me thinks no redundant air is necessary because I usually don't use all of my gas anyway, but I would like to have my rig set up so that it is ready for the longest and deepest dives I am making.

I know spare air gets alot of hate (for good reason) but I thought in my situation it might be acceptable as it is unlikely that I will bleed both tanks dry before starting my ascent, even in a worse case scenario. Maybe I am not taking something into consideration though so I would like some input.

Thanks for reading and responding.
A quick question, are you solo certified? These concerns should have been covered in the course in detail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom