redundant air at less than 30'?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saying that something has "never happened" and therefore there is no need to prepare for it is foolish.

Some people drive the same car for 10 years and never get a flat tire.

Does that mean they should remove the spare to make more room in the trunk?

Well, 44 years of scuba here, mostly solo also since the beginning and don't need or carry spare gas tanks around as a rule. Thirty feet is snorkel depth, the surface is my redundancy.

I don't really understand all of this redundancy as of recent years, it kind of has come out of the blue and is largely unsupported by any real need or evidence thereof.

N

snorkel depth, the surface is my redundancy.

I don't really understand all of this redundancy as of recent years, it kind of has come out of the blue and is largely unsupported by any real need or evidence thereof.

N

The need in a large part is to sell more equipment by creating a solution(redundancy) and then convincing the diver he needs it to survive even the simplest dive.

The need in a large part is to sell more equipment by creating a solution(redundancy) and then convincing the diver he needs it to survive even the simplest dive.

I don't think it is a conspiracy or anything, I just think it is part and parcel of the on going air bagged, helmeted, cushy, guberment got your back, risk adverse nannifcation of everything everywhere.

I refuse to participate. Maybe we are just getting old. :idk:

N

I refuse to participate. Maybe we are just getting old. :idk:

N

I guess the question is how did we survive this long. Drove cars without seat belts, air bags and anti lock brakes, rode bicycles and motorcycles without helmets, dived without octos, BC's SPG's. Amazing

I guess the question is how did we survive this long. Drove cars without seat belts, air bags and anti lock brakes, rode bicycles and motorcycles without helmets, dived without octos, BC's SPG's. Amazing

Did you and Orville even have parachutes?

All the people that got killed can't talk about their experience. I know a few people that were probably saved by air bags and also definitely by pony bottles. And I also know people that have died diving, who didn't have a pony bottle and we wonder if it might have made a difference.

Well, 44 years of scuba here, mostly solo also since the beginning and don't need or carry spare gas tanks around as a rule. Thirty feet is snorkel depth, the surface is my redundancy.

N
Maybe it's a function of a more uh, buoyant population who find a 30' swim to the surface a challenge. :wink:

All the people that got killed can't talk about their experience. I know a few people that were probably saved by air bags and also definitely by pony bottles. And I also know people that have died diving, who didn't have a pony bottle and we wonder if it might have made a difference.

What saved us is we weren't sufficiently talented fools. The sufficiently talented fools are the ones who died.

All of us actually knew how to swim?

Back
Top Bottom