Redundancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Odiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
New to the diving world and happy to be here. I finally did it and celebrated my certification by purchasing a few books to grow my knowledge and understanding to this new world. It seems all of the diving agencies promote safety, but not all promote a redundant air system. Feel free to chime in and share your thoughts on a secondary air source. I'm thinking about adding a 19 cu ft pony alongside my Faber steel 100 cu ft. Although I, too, believe in being safe, despite the added expense I see a pony as a smart investment.

Your best redundant air supply is a good competent buddy. Now if he/she are not available or you want to just have another level of redundancy, a 13-19 cf small pony will do the trick. Many of the experienced divers sling a 40 cf "pony". For now, dive often and do it safely with a buddy.

Welcome to ScubaBoard.

I've had a 13cf pony for years, but have rarely dived with it. If I'm looking at a dive below maybe 80' I tend to take it, as I'm a "single" when on a dive charter and always get an "insta buddy". Most of my solo diving is much shallower (usually max 30') and I can do a CESA, so no need. On deep dives, I watch my SPG like a hawk. Of course when buddy diving the #1 rule is stay very close to the buddy.

I appreciate the info. Again, I haven't been diving long, however, this is not a short term hobby. I'm in it for the long haul. I just want to do it right and safe.

New to the diving world and happy to be here. I finally did it and celebrated my certification by purchasing a few books to grow my knowledge and understanding to this new world. It seems all of the diving agencies promote safety, but not all promote a redundant air system. Feel free to chime in and share your thoughts on a secondary air source. I'm thinking about adding a 19 cu ft pony alongside my Faber steel 100 cu ft. Although I, too, believe in being safe, despite the added expense I see a pony as a smart investment.

After a lot of research (thanks SCUBABOARD) and thought I did just that. Use it for deeper dives. Hope to never need it...do not make the mistake of pushing envelope because of that extra 19cu ft. I also practice with it..there are pros and cons to leaving valve open or not etc...I have found its adequate to get me safely to surface from depths i dive with a cushion.

I appreciate the info. Again, I haven't been diving long, however, this is not a short term hobby. I'm in it for the long haul. I just want to do it right and safe.
How many dives have you made? When I first learned to dive, I made a lot of dives keeping the depths very shallow (<20 feet). Gain experience. The more the better; It will help you know your strengths and weaknesses. Don't make the mistake of buying too much gear in the beginning.

I didn't have the time to dive as much as I wanted to my first year. 30 dives under my belt. I only bought the gear I thought I needed so I could dive without renting or barrowing. This included a couple on Faber tanks. Max depth is right at 90 ft. Looking forward to a life of diving. I do plan on staying with the shallow dives in order to get my buoency and trim down first.

Just use 1 cu ft per min as your consumption rate, and you can easily see & quickly comprehend the following:

At the surface, 19 cu ft would last 19 mins.
At a depth of 33 ft, 19 cu ft would last 9 mins.
At a depth of 66 ft, 19 cu ft would last 6 mins.
At a depth of 99 ft, 19 cu ft would last 4 mins.

To ascend from 99 ft properly would take you 3 mins. This would consume about 6 cu ft of a 19 cu ft bottle. That also tells you that the smallest bottle you could effectively get to the surface with from 99 ft without stopping at 15 ft, would be a 6 cu ft bottle. However the smallest bottle that I would ever recommend for dives to 99 ft would be at least twice that volume.

With a 19 cu ft pony bottle, that would leave you with 13 cu ft with which to do a safety stop at 15 ft, after your ascent. You could wait 8 mins at 15 ft with that much gas, even at an elevated stressed 1 cu ft per min consumption rate. You should have plenty of extra air with a 19 cu ft bottle, although you do not have time to be delayed at 99 ft for whatever reason while using it either.

Most normal RMVs are in the 0.5 to 0.75 cu ft per minute range. But when something goes wrong, a stressed breathing rate of 1 cu ft per min in the examples above is a reasonable estimation. Plus it makes the calculations in US Imperial for a pony bottle contingency easier to figure and see. . .

I didn't have the time to dive as much as I wanted to my first year. 30 dives under my belt. I only bought the gear I thought I needed so I could dive without renting or barrowing. This included a couple on Faber tanks. Max depth is right at 90 ft. Looking forward to a life of diving. I do plan on staying with the shallow dives in order to get my buoency and trim down first.
You should be congratulated. That is very good.
You have the right frame of mind. You are thinking and not rushing.
Kevrumbo gives a very nice synopsis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom