Redundancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You haven't meantioned what agency and level but in all honesty I'd sling the pony and spend the money on training with a reputable diving agency.

Also try posting on here when you are organising trips to see if you can get buddies and try to build up some solid individuals that you trust.

Otherwise if I'm on a boat trip and I'm alone I stay close to your guide / divemaster. They generally know what they are doing.

I understand people's want for a pony but as I have a trusted and regular dive team I don't need or want one.

Staying within the limits of your agency and training level is the best advice I can give you.

Following up from that purchase your own gear. Do your research and buy decent quality gear and ensure you look after it. The modern gear is very reliable and with the right care and skills you should never have to use a redundant air source.

Search Alex Pierce on YouTube you will find all his videos useful particularly the ones on gear maintenance and care.

Finally if you still feel that you want to be self suffiecent invest in a twinset or sidemount and learn how to use it properly from a reputable instructor.

Remember that even as a self sufficient diver there are still plenty of ways to get in trouble such as entanglement, getting lost and narcosis. The absolute best and safest option is to find a competent and trust worthy buddy or team and dive together.

Nothing is safer than a team of thinking divers working together.

Happy Diving!

Hello @Odiver

I am in St. Clair Shores..... Funny that we both just joined up here.

Where did you do your Certification? (if you don't mind me asking)

Have you found any other members in our area?

Thanks!
I'm in macomb Twp. I got certified in Novi at Motor City Scuba. I have not found any other member in our area. As of late I have been going out with the guys in Novi. Let's go diving. Where have you been diving.

Sweet!

I have not gotten certified yet. I am shopping around instructors/shops. Still very new.

Where do you guys dive at in Novi?

Sweet!

I have not gotten certified yet. I am shopping around instructors/shops. Still very new.

Where do you guys dive at in Novi?
Gilboa and Whit Star Quarries a lot. They're in Ohio. Spring Mill Pond for night diving. Lake Huron is great at Port Sanilac

While redundancy is a good thing, it is easy to go overboard. The greatest tool that you have is your brain. Be a thinking diver rather than a reacting or “let’s use redundancy without further training or practice” one. What I mean by this is to use good situational awareness while planning and diving. Practice your skills to the point that they become second nature. Take the time to practice your skills, planning, and communication with your buddy. If you don’t have a buddy whom you can continuously dive with take the time to work with a new buddy, even if it means diving shallow and practicing skills on the first dive.

Invest in good equipment, maintain it and learn how to use it. Properly taken care of gear will work for you and last. I’ve seen plenty of people buy all sorts of redundant equipment, yet they don’t practice with it, and because it is more gear, meaning more cost, they don’t maintain it.

Are you asking me or Redfoot?
Red foot
While redundancy is a good thing, it is easy to go overboard. The greatest tool that you have is your brain. Be a thinking diver rather than a reacting or “let’s use redundancy without further training or practice” one. What I mean by this is to use good situational awareness while planning and diving. Practice your skills to the point that they become second nature. Take the time to practice your skills, planning, and communication with your buddy. If you don’t have a buddy whom you can continuously dive with take the time to work with a new buddy, even if it means diving shallow and practicing skills on the first dive.

Invest in good equipment, maintain it and learn how to use it. Properly taken care of gear will work for you and last. I’ve seen plenty of people buy all sorts of redundant equipment, yet they don’t practice with it, and because it is more gear, meaning more cost, they don’t maintain it.
Point well taken. I appreciate all of the advice.

Your best redundant air supply is a good competent buddy. Now if he/she are not available or you want to just have another level of redundancy, a 13-19 cf small pony will do the trick. Many of the experienced divers sling a 40 cf "pony". For now, dive often and do it safely with a buddy.

Welcome to ScubaBoard.
I appreciate the words. I've wanted to dive my entire life. Now that I'm Diving I can't stop. What a life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom