redundancy with guages/computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TomG

Reaction score
How many of you have extra gear such as computers or reg setups just in case? If you have an air integrated computer do many also have a depth/pressure guage also connected just for a spare if the comp goes down. I am only referring to recreational diving, not tech.

thanks - Tom in VA

My wife and I both dive. We each own all our own gear. The only pieces of gear we have in common (i.e. brand/model) are our dive computers.

We have a third reg/octo that we carry in case of malfunction.

We each have a compact console SPG/DG for back up that we keep neatly tucked against the left side of our BC's.

We plan our dives utilizing both tables and computers.

The dive plan incorporates a bottom time based on the tables while we actually use the computers due to their abilities to extend bottom time based on multi-level dive profiles.

If either one of the computers dies, we revert to the table and end the dive before or at the no deco time for the max depth established.

I can only speak for myself but I see no need to have anything extra. If you have an air intergraded computer you should not need an analog to back it up. I don’t know if it is the correct answer but a diver should be looking at his gauge every few minutes so he knows where he stands (PSI, depth. Etc…). If the computer fails you will know if you are safe to abort the dive and surface or ascend to about 20’ and make a safety stop until you are just about out of air.

Once on the surface you can curse out the computer and the manufacturer!

We (wife&I) also have AI computers. We do have a back-up computer and SPG. They stay on the boat. If you have any type of equip failure it's time to abort the dive. I do dive with them when I solo dive, but lets not go there now....

TomG:
How many of you have extra gear such as computers or reg setups just in case? If you have an air integrated computer do many also have a depth/pressure guage also connected just for a spare if the comp goes down. I am only referring to recreational diving, not tech.

thanks - Tom in VA
I have an AI computer (Suunto Cobra). For backup I added a ScubaPro analog mini-SPG and depth guage on a 2nd HP console. I added this console for 2 reasons: 1) backup in case my computer fails at depth, the analog SPG will safely allow me to finish the dive and still complete a proper safety stop. 2) backup in case my computer dies (e.g. battery failure) during a dive vacation. If I didn't have a backup my only alternative in this case would be to either stop diving, or rent one the next time I was in port. The ScubaPro mini guages are pretty inexpensive, so I thought it was worth the added assurance.

I also added a 13cu ft pony bottle (with its own popup SPG), so I now have 3 2nd stage regs: my primary, my BC-inflator-integrated, and my pony. When I purchased the pony I moved my safe 2nd off of my octo onto the pony. I thought about just going with the primary 2nd-stage on my reg, but thought what if I travel somewhere and can't take my pony? Then I'd be stuck with only one 2nd-stage. So I went ahead and purchased a BC integrated safe-2nd. That way it's one less thing to clip off on my BC.

So am I safer with all this extra cr*p hanging off of me? Maybe. At least it gives me a much calmer state of mind - which in its own way makes me safer.

Jerry

"If the computer fails you will know if you are safe to abort the dive and surface or ascend to about 20’ and make a safety stop until you are just about out of air.

Once on the surface you can curse out the computer and the manufacturer!"

If a computer fails we simply revert to the table/plan and continue the dive.

The Kracken:
"If the computer fails you will know if you are safe to abort the dive and surface or ascend to about 20’ and make a safety stop until you are just about out of air.
Once on the surface you can curse out the computer and the manufacturer!"

If a computer fails we simply revert to the table/plan and continue the dive.
Kraken: You're assuming that you still have an SPG, depth guage, and bottom timer when the computer fails. If you're AI computer is all you have then it doesn't do you any good to fall back onto a table/plan... all you can do is abort your dive as safely as possible.

Hi Tom,

I am relatively new to diving however in my profession safety is paramount and functionality runs a strong but manageable second. I dive with dual non-AI computers plus there is a mini SPG onboard to provide an absolute reference. No life support system should be allowed to operate without evident, tested, independent back-up systems. In this area, everyone should always err on the side of caution. Also, if your dive should violate any standard table be exceedingly cautious during your ascent profile.

TomG:

thanks - Tom in VA

Which type of redundant equipment and when to take it- depends on you.
Even for recreational diving, sometimes you may want to take redundant gear and sometimes you will not. It all depends on the type of diving, conditions and most imprtant- if you feel comfortable with or without the backup of a specific piece of gear.

For example, if my computer's battery shows 40% and I'm going on a Safari- I'll take another computer with me on all dives.
On nightdives, I frequently take a backup torch (even if I can always end a dive without a torch).
I use only my computer for measuring depth (don't use a redundant depth gauge), and I allways take a spare mask, though.

So, if you use an AI computer but don't feel comfortable giving away the SPG- don't. Perhaps after a while you'll decide to let it go, or to keep it :)

Remeber that too many redundant pieces of gear make diving more complicated, especially in case of emergency. Use only what you really need.

My wife & I each have our computer & mechanical gauges plus I use a Citizen dive watch as backup plus a set of dive tables in my BC pocket for any dive over 15m.

Night dives we don't dive with less than 7 light sources between us, 1 primary each, 1 marker light each on chest Dring, I carry 2 secondaries and my wife 1 secondary. I never forget one incident where we had just handed over our primaries to the boat crew at the end of the dive when the captain realised he was getting blown onto some rocks and had to abandon us fast and then circle round & get us some distance away. It was pitch dark & then one of the secondaries failed. Murphy's law.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom