Redondo Beach King Harbor Improvement Survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlyle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Forwarding from a friend:

"Sorry for the spam, I’m sending this to everyone I know that uses the harbor area, moonstone park, boat launches, etc. Please forward.

Redondo Beach / King Harbor is starting to work on revitalizing the waterfront area, this time hopefully a little more community driven, last time it was (in my opinion) driven by a mall developer that the area had been handed off to.

First step is a survey that is live now. This should hopefully lead to an overall layout that the community can work on and approve.

Here’s the survey:

Voting

What do you want to see? Bathrooms in moonstone park? SUP storage? A boat ramp? A better hand launch? A coat of fresh paint? Better security? A permanent stage and more concerts or movies in seaside lagoon? Clean bathrooms? More parking? Nicer seating in the upper area at the international boardwalk? An open market hall? Better landing for fishing boats/whale watch boats/dive boats? A dinghy dock so you can come to King Harbor in your yacht and have your crew bring you to najas?

The first workshop will be online on 12/15, you can register for it here, if interested:

https://www.khamenitiesplan.com

There will be a booth for this on 12/11 in the harbor. On that day, there will be a car show from 12-6, a holiday concert on the pier from 2-4, and the boat parade at sunset."

I just took a look at the survey. It seems aimed more at activities that occur within King Harbor (and the Pier) itself rather than diving from the Vets Park area, which is probably what would be of most interest to people here.

I just took a look at the survey. It seems aimed more at activities that occur within King Harbor (and the Pier) itself rather than diving from the Vets Park area, which s probably what would be of most interest to people here.
Don't forget divers like me who have their boats moored in the harbor.

Ooof. All of these sound like they'll lead to more traffic, fewer available parking spaces, and more garbage in the water. But I guess it was too good to last.

Ooof. All of these sound like they'll lead to more traffic, fewer available parking spaces, and more garbage in the water. But I guess it was too good to last.
Do the survey, add your comments. If you like the harbor and area as it is, say so.

Ken, this could also include better facilities for kayaks, and also for larger boats, we could have a longer range dive boat in Redondo. Closest harbor to the west end of Catalina, Farnsworth, and Santa Barbara Island.

Closest harbor to the west end of Catalina, Farnsworth, and Santa Barbara Island.
Not to belabor the point but, according to Google Earth:
Angel's Gate to Cat West End - 26 miles. From King Harbor - 28 miles.
Angel's Gate to Ship Rock - 22 miles. From King Harbor - 27 miles.
Angel's Gate to Farnsworth (around West End) - 34 miles. From King Harbor - 36 miles.
Angel's Gate to SB Island - 48 miles. From King Harbor - 44 miles. (Only one that's shorter.)

Back
Top Bottom