Dredging king harbor, Redondo Beach, dumping sand off vet's again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArrrSea

New
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Greetings,

King harbor in Redondo Beach will be dredged (it needs it).

The army corps of engineers has posted a public notice for the work, and is accepting comments up until 10/29.

The notice proposes that material will be dumped into a basin in the harbor, and a spot off topaz jetty, just south of Vet’s park.

Back in late 2012, they dredged the Marina del Rey channel and dumped material at the same location. Diving at vet’s was poor, there was a lot of trash in the water and vis was low from the silt. Additionally, the notice says that the material does contain some DDT, but does not state the amount.

I don’t know when the dredging will occur.

If you have any comments, you can submit them to the email address on the notice.

If you have any photos from last time, please send me a DM. I know there were underwater cleanups and a lot of trash taken out. I was traveling for work at the time, and didn't get any photos myself. Thanks.

Here’s the notice:

https://www.spl.usace.army.mil/Port...nce Dredging.pdf?ver=RSCVNzy6OXWpuw5VMfPzAg==

Personally, I’m not trying to block the project or stop the dredging. It does need it. But I am hoping for better “best practices” for screening for trash than were used on the Marina del Rey sand, and I’m generally concerned that the poor quality of this document (redondo does not have dorado as the document states, etc etc) indicates that the general environmental impact and material samples were also poorly done.

Thank you for posting this notice.

That's too bad. There is some pretty decent spearfishing off of Topaz Jetty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom