Red Sea Walk-on-boards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
When I was in Cairns a few years ago, I missed out on an awesome opportunity to dive the Coral Sea for 50% off as a "walk-on." A boat was going out and had space so they cut the price.

I was wondering if there are boats in the Red Sea that do the same if they are not full. I operate on a tight budget, so costs are important. If I can get a reduced rate by flying there and doing a little day diving, I'd be willing to wait foi such an opportunity.

TIA

Dr. Bill

Depnding on the time of year, you should have no problem finding a spot on a boat. There are a bunch of boats operating out of Sharm el Sheik, especially. Not sure about Hurghada, but I imagine it's the same. You might have to walk around town to several dive centres to find a deal, however. But I'll bet you can save some money if you show up at the last minute.

Regards,

Phil

But on the other hand - my expierience shows that it's cheaper to book yourself in advance. Doing so you can can sometimest quite a good deal. As I never used "the last minute" in fact I have no idea how it works, niether in Sharm nor in Hurghada. I'm positive it's possible but on the other hand knowing different LDS there I wouldn't risk such thing - you never know where you would end up. And all of you - please remember that very cheap in Egypt in most cases means - low safety and quality.
Mania

would agree with mania, just in sharm at the moment and it's far cheaper buying dive packages in advance than turning up, quality seems to be very high in terms of equipment, service and knowledge of instructors / dm's.

drbill:
When I was in Cairns a few years ago, I missed out on an awesome opportunity to dive the Coral Sea for 50% off as a "walk-on." A boat was going out and had space so they cut the price.

I was wondering if there are boats in the Red Sea that do the same if they are not full. I operate on a tight budget, so costs are important. If I can get a reduced rate by flying there and doing a little day diving, I'd be willing to wait foi such an opportunity.

TIA

Dr. Bill
have a look at www.divernet.com or www.ifyoudive.com

they have links to holidays and lateavailability liveaboards in the red sea

I want to know which dive shop is relatively cheap in red sea area, any rec? on a kinda tight budget, just started to work a year ago. :(

Well could you please specify which area of Red Sea - as it is rather big area...
And remember - you are dealing with the Middle East and although I love this place of the world focusing on the cheapest service is not the best solution. Cheap dive shops are not good, as simple as that. And to be able to give you more advice I would love to know what is your budget?
Mania

Hi Mania,

I have just read your tips to red sea, it's very very very helpful. My budget is 300~350USD on diving.

I think i will go to Hurghada and Sharm, the Thistlegorm is a must-go for me. I have not checked the detailed dive sites info yet... Will arrive in Cairo and stay 2 days then go to sharm or hurghada. i need to work out about how much the diving is so that i can let my friend know and she will decide whether to go with me or not, or i will have to go by myself. Thanks in advance for any advices or rec =)

scubagal
300US$ just for diving???? That's a lot!!! 5 day package (2 dives per day) costs more or less 120 Euro in Hurghada and 150 Euro in Sharm. Thistlegorm is more difficult - you have to pay extra around 50 Euro. And - as it is a long trip from both destinations (H or S) there must be a certain number of divers willing to go there - otherwise nobody will go with just one diver.
So this is to answer your basic question. Any other?
Mania
PS. Geee still don't have time to write the second chapter of the tips....

5 day package (2 dives per day) costs more or less 120 Euro in Hurghada and 150 Euro in Sharm.

woohoo, that sounds pretty nice to me, that's almost the same price in Phuket!! But Thistlegorm is more expensive, right? So I guess i would tell my friend that 200 euro for 5~6 days diving, 2 each and includes the Thistlegorm.

Any good dive sites you recomment? I prefer big fishes and big sea fans, i kinda get bored of nudi branches.

Are you staying in Egypt right now?

Back
Top Bottom