Red Sea Aggressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rongoodman

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just returned from a week on the Red Sea Aggressor, northern route. I don't usually do trip reports but I thought I would mention a couple of things. The boat was great, the food was good, the crew was fantastic, if a little over the top on the service(really guys, I can defog my own mask and put my fins on without help) but maybe that's just a cultural thing. It was quite cold. I didn't skip any dives, but in a 5mm and light hood I was chilled much of the time. My buddy was a slender woman in an 8mm who still appreciated the hood I loaned her. My Shearwater had the water temps at 71-72, but the real problem was the cool air and breeze on the surface. Stripping off that wet suit and skin was brutal! The tanks were convertible, so you can bring your DIN reg. I had asked for a larger tank and got a steel LP 95. I saw AL100s on board too. Expect to need more weight because of the increased salinity. The boat has 220 volt power and two types of plugs. The 3 prong GB version from my Apple travel kit worked out. I took my Nautilus Lifeline and was unable to find out the MMSI code prior to arrival but was told there that the boat does have one. I didn't bother to set it up. The seas are so flat that it probably wasn't necessary(not like Cocos!). I had a 1715 departure time from Marsa Alam so Lisa booked a day room for me in a hotel across the marina. Nice lunch buffet and a place to chill for a few hours. All in all, nice boat and nice people, but when I go back, it will be later in the season, crowded or not.

One more thing: You can't climb the ladders on their pangas with your gear on, so its removal in the water isn't optional. I've been diving a one-piece harness on my BP since forever, but a shoulder problem I'm having made it difficult to remove by myself and I needed help from the crew every time. When I return, I'll probably face the wrath of the DIR gods and install a harness with a break to make things easier for all concerned.

Buffet at the Siva Port Ghalib? I've never gone hungry at a buffet until that...

I did Brothers route last year, it was fantastic.

Our trip left a few weeks before yours. It was my first time in the Red Sea and first liveaboard. It was a fantastic time with many really cool divers on board. I brought a new 7mm suit and wound up adding a 5mm hooded vest a few days into the dives. Chef Abdulah became a proud dad towards the end of our journey.

A few of the crew members started out fairly quiet while they got to know everyone. Once they figured out that our group was pretty laid back, the practical jokes and teasing from both sides never stopped.

How about them dance parties?

the crew was fantastic, if a little over the top on the service.

The level of service was a bit shocking to me. I had heard good things, but I didn't expect it to be that good! Our group got "yelled at" daily for trying to clear our own used glasses, plates, etc. By day three, we pesterered Walid enough that he finally relented when we helped sweep our crumbs up from lunch and dinner. I had asked him for a job as his assistant one day, but he said I needed many more years of training. :facepalm:

couple of quick questions for you ( comparing other liveaboards in the red sea)

1) Was anyone diving dual sidemount?
2) Were the crew smoking on deck ( and if so, was it a lot?)
3) Was the camera area respected with exclusively camera equipment?

I was on the MY Blue in Nov and it was a really good trip, but i had a couple of issues, namely drinks and sometimes fins being placed on the camera table ( i raised it and they stopped though) Lots of smoking on the deck ( not the divedeck) and to be fair lots of guests were smoking too. Occasionally there were crew hanging about in the movie room in the salon lying on the sofas...later turned out to be the captain...

I'm also trying to build a database of boats that are dual side mount friendly.

Tnx!

1) Was anyone diving dual sidemount?
2) Were the crew smoking on deck ( and if so, was it a lot?)
3) Was the camera area respected with exclusively camera equipment?
1)No, but two crew dove single sidemount. I'm sure they could accomodate dual tank dives, particularly on the wrecks.
2) Smoking only allowed on the bow. Never smelled it which was nice.
3) Yes. A tank for cameras, a tank for misc. items (lights, watches, etc.), and a tank for wetsuits.

Agree with 2 and 3. The only boat where I ever saw anyone in full sidemount gear was the Okeanos II at Cocos Island a couple of years ago.

Agree with 2 and 3. The only boat where I ever saw anyone in full sidemount gear was the Okeanos II at Cocos Island a couple of years ago.

I’ll add okeanos to my ‘friendly’ list :)

It’s quite common in the Red Sea, but I know some aggressor boats have a ‘no dual sidemount’ policy...I understand the reasons why, but personally feel it’s outdated and time they scrap it.

Hi @Ministryofgiraffes

I'm not so sure about the double sidemount. I would communicate directly with Aggressor to answer this question. Of the 4 Aggressors I've been on, including the RSA I and the Okeanos II, I've never even seen sidemount, so at least that's established. The individual dive stations have a single tank. Perhaps you've already dived your double sidemount off a skiff, the room can by tight, reboarding requires taking off your BC and cylinder(s).

Tnx. I was surprised to hear an aggressor boat would have dual sidemount allowed.

That’s the issue a bit, old rigs took up a lot of room, sure, but it’s outdated now. Tanks just unclip. Rig and wing stays on you, no hoses, octopuses and regulators hanging around and dragging all over the deck to be damaged. Nothing hanging off your BCD at your divestation or bashing people when you turn around with tanks on your back...

Back
Top Bottom