Red Sea Aggressor Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In 2016 I looked into doing one of those free layover tours one maybe can get when flying TA. Unfortunately my layover time then would not have let me catch a tour, so I just hung out on the airport. So no recommendation, but if you have not already look into it.

Take a Free Istanbul City Tour During Your Layover

TA also says you can get a free 5 star hotel voucher (if you fly TA)... maybe look into that...
Request Rejected

Overall I was just glad I missed both, the terrorist attack and then also the coup by a week or so... (had 2 layovers of differing length) and in retrospect felt maybe deep in the airport was safer than on a checkpoint in... ... Sure, I would have preferred to do something better, but then it just did not feel right to me...

Are you flying Turkish Air from Houston to Istanbul?

DFW to O'Hare to Istanbul via Turkish Air. Originally it was via Houston, but we found a better route. Lisa @ Aggressor Travel is really awesome.

So is anyone from here going to be on the June 9 Red Sea Aggressor I? :)

For Port Ghalib there are two restaurants that I would recommend: Wunder-Bar and Divino Restaurant. I think your hotel might have a buffet.
For Hurghada we stayed at one of the Hilton's and did one of the all-inclusive packages. We even paid extra one night to include a private dinner with all ethnic Egyptian food.
We have seen the Aggressor I (never been on it) and it looks nice. We are heading back to the area this summer. Have fun!

For Port Ghalib there are two restaurants that I would recommend: Wunder-Bar and Divino Restaurant. I think your hotel might have a buffet.
For Hurghada we stayed at one of the Hilton's and did one of the all-inclusive packages. We even paid extra one night to include a private dinner with all ethnic Egyptian food.
We have seen the Aggressor I (never been on it) and it looks nice. We are heading back to the area this summer. Have fun!

THANK YOU! Which boat are you going on?

Awesome man - please post here when you get back and LMK how it went and what you saw :)

Just got back...amazing trip. We saw all that I had hoped and more. Thresher, Hammerheads, many Oceanic white tips, so much other great stuff. The two wrecks at Brothers were nice to change it up a bit from the reef diving.

We did hit some nasty winds though and choppy seas. It was 20+ knot winds for most of the trip which made entries and exits a bit more challenging but it wasn't terrible. Lots of negative entries from the zodiac. Currents were very very strong, especially at Brothers and Elphinstone. You just flew over the reef. It made it tough for pictures but it sure was fun flying over the reefs.

There were two incidents nearby while we were out that week. One dayboat at Elphinstone lost 5 divers and a helicopter found them 8 hours later 24km from the site. When we were there i saw a group of divers literally hugging the wall with their entire bodies. Fins and bodies just crushing coral and they looked like they were holding on for dear life. it really bugged me to see them with no regard to the coral that i took a picture of the offending group. It was 5 divers and makes me wonder if this was the group. They were clearly in over their heads with the currents.

Another dive boat sank while we were there but all people were rescued. I highly recommend a Nautilus lifeline. Aggressor offers them for weekly rental for like $20 or something. ya never know

I would say that those are actually the two worst restaurants at the port and the two that i tell people to specifically avoid...different strokes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom