Red Rock Reef off Boca Grande

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

debajo agua

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Everybody,

With hurricane Sandy really screwing up the Marine Forecast this weekend, it looks like the only marine dive I can possibly make, would be a shore dive on the West Coast. I've got Red Rock Reef (Boca Grande) in mind, but I've never been there, nor have I ever heard any talk about it on the board, other than an ancient SB post. If the viz is descent, I'm also considering diving the Phosphate Dock. I've got the locations down in my handheld GPS but I'm looking for info on what to expect from Boca Grande shore diving? Viz, Currents, what's there to see, Hazards, a good place for lunch, etc. . Any help would be appreciated.

TIA,

I used to dive Red Rock Reef all the time. It is a nice little reef off of Sandspur Beach. Depending on when you dive it, currents can be strong ( outgoing or incoming tide times & full moon will have an effect) I always used my kayak so currents did not concern me as much because I did not have to worry about the swim out or back. There is quite a bit of boat traffic there so make sure your flag is visable. As far as the Phosphate Dock, I have never dived it but I am told you must make sure that you dive it at slack tide because the currents will really rip there. I do believe I was told that there is no longer public access to the docks anymore & it is only accessable by boat. As far as this weekend is concerned, it looks like winds will be ripping from the north & I am not sure that shore diving anywhere will be worth it.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply. If you don't mind, I have a few more questions:

From what I've been able to find out on the net, the reef is slightly SW of the lighthouse. Is it a big reef? Is it easy to miss? What depths should I expect? Approximately how far from shore is it located? Finally, is it an artificial reef or natural occurring?

I used to dive Red Rock Reef all the time. It is a nice little reef off of Sandspur Beach. Depending on when you dive it, currents can be strong ( outgoing or incoming tide times & full moon will have an effect) I always used my kayak so currents did not concern me as much because I did not have to worry about the swim out or back. There is quite a bit of boat traffic there so make sure your flag is visable. As far as the Phosphate Dock, I have never dived it but I am told you must make sure that you dive it at slack tide because the currents will really rip there. I do believe I was told that there is no longer public access to the docks anymore & it is only accessable by boat. As far as this weekend is concerned, it looks like winds will be ripping from the north & I am not sure that shore diving anywhere will be worth it.

Yes, the reef is slightly SW of the lighthouse & yes it is VERY easy to miss. I've done it many times. It's a nice size to play on but tis also small enough to miss even with a GPS. I dived it about a month ago & the viz was poor. I managed to eventually find it by stopping & listening for the snaps & crackles. When the sounds would grow feint then I knew to turn 180 & luckily I managed to find it. Depth to the sand is around 12 ft. I would say if you hit 14 ft. or more, you are too far out. I'm not great with distances but I would say it is around 100 yds from shore. It is an artificial reef but very nice. I've seen just about every type of marine life on it. I'd be more than happy to dive it with you sometime on a weekend but I think this weekend is going to be too windy.

That would be great. Red Rock has been on my list of Gulf Coast shore dives for awhile. I'll pm you sometime later in the week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom