Red and White Vs Blue and White...????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Russia for inner water ways officially we use same rules as for international - Alpha flag.
>>> That is interesting ! During one of the "Cold Wars" between the US and Russia in the early 1960s I was a CDO & DSO of a proposed DDS and for some unknown reason we needed a Russian diving manual complete with English translation. I recall that at that time the Russian divers had a special divers flag-- do you recall it ?
My father, when he was a spearfishing hunter - on the competitions they just used inflatable child ball with colored segments, puted in to mesh bag "Avos`ka" (that was popular bag in USSR). It was a marker boui, and it replased boui with flag.

Can you give me name of the book, that you a reffer? Could you remind it, or how it looks? Because those times we had more than one diving manuals (books). I will check that book.

@boulderjohn
"....I hate fishing, but I go out with him from time to time..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I also hope I never grow so old that I use a wishing stick to catch fish or play pasture pool..

However, we had a huge salmon run about 25 -30 years ago and my wife purchased
some poles and began fishing with a friend-- and caught a her fair share.
We had house guests who were examining her fishing equipment and took a picture of me holding a rod as it was being passed to me.

The picture some how was spread allover SoCal spearfishing tribe
Oh the horror of it all ! The utter embarrassment !

After the Toso V Burns litigation I was in demand as an "expert" on the red & white flag. At the request of the US Power Squadron I authored a description of the red & white flag for inclusion in their training bible "Chapmans Small Boat Handling: ( or a similar title ) What appeared in print was certainly watered down-- but I suspect some read the paragraphs and recognize the dive flag - as did your eastern friend

SDM

According some our books:

Navy Divers (1902)
on the boat forecastle (nose)
r.jpg

Light (scuba) commertial divers: (1962)
Night----------------------------------Day
5.jpg

Military divers: (1965)
Internal water ways:
Night ------ Day
2.jpg

Commertial divers (1972)
Night-------Day
3.jpg

Internal water ways:
Night ------ Day
2.jpg

Military divers (1980)
Night-------Day
3.jpg
AND
150px-Alpha_flag.svg.png

Small ships:
150px-Alpha_flag.svg.png

Internal water ways:
Night ------ Day
2.jpg

Commertial divers: (1981):
Big ships, international ways:
night-------day
1.jpg

Small ships:
150px-Alpha_flag.svg.png

Internal water ways:
Night ------ Day
2.jpg

Commertial divers (1990)
same as 1981 but for internal ways:
4.jpg

@Kharon
Inquired : "I've got a question - How do you get to be a "Scuba Legend"? "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That is a good question the defies an answer. I guess jut like Topsy "Ah jes grew da way"

Perhaps you should direct your question to @The Chairman who bestowed the title or @drbill who is also a "SCUBA Legend."

SDM

don't we wish....
I have seen a few (boat and a kayak) actually pull up to the flag and investigate it....

@Sam Miller III I've got a question - How do you get to be a "Scuba Legend"?
It was the result of a lot of discussion among staff. We wanted to recognize people who have made significant contributions to scuba over a long period of time. Sam and Dr. Bill were the first to be so designated. We assume there will be others in the future.

@Kharon
Inquired : "I've got a question - How do you get to be a "Scuba Legend"? "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That is a good question the defies an answer. I guess jut like Topsy "Ah jes grew da way"

Perhaps you should direct your question to @The Chairman who bestowed the title or @drbill who is also a "SCUBA Legend."

SDM

Thanks. The Chairman sent me a treatse and it is mighty impressive. Your title made me curious and is certainly appropriate.

Now you know...
Suggest reading your PMs

You will note there are two Dr, Sam Millers; Dr. Sam III and son Dr. Sam IV, who has been diving for almost 50 years, was the youngest to be listed in Whos Who of SCUBA Diving; (1993) is a NAUI (Life) Instructor, PADI instructor, SSI Pro 5000, ER & Hyperbaric doctor...

But we prefer to be devoid of titles since we ALL are nothing but a bunch of lousy divers
(Per my mentor, friend,& diving companion, Andrus B Rechnitzer -GOOGLE Andy )

The sunny beach beckons me and dog Lucky
Cheers from Kalifornia - where it all began..
SAM III

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom