Red and White Vs Blue and White...????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SURFFOILS

Registered
Reaction score
hi guys, as a newbie I read a lot on the 8nternet and it’s confusing that in the US the DD flag is Red and White but in other countries it’s Blue and White and a different configuration.
What gives ?
Apart from the boater confusion it’s a potentially deadly situation and IM not keen on getting run over by a 60 ft cruiser because the rules are different in different countries.
As a newbie, safety is my greatest concern.
what’s going on ?

The alpha flag (the blue and white one) is an international marine flag indicating that the vessel has a diver in the water. It's primary purpose is to protect the vessel from a collision and/or to warn approaching vessels of such a danger.

Since not all divers dive from a vessel the red and white flag was invented (I believe) as a flag specific to scuba diving and isn't vessel centric. The red and white flag, for example, can be towed by divers in the water on a surface marker buoy.

In reality, you see both of them in a lot of places. Boaters in North America will recognize both flags. In some countries you'll be better off using one or the other. The best advice is to inform locally when you're diving somewhere new.

R..

True enough. In response to Bob's post it's worth mentioning that using a flag (even a correct one) is no guarantee that a boater won't approach too close. An old diving instructor of mine used to tell students that if they wanted to avoid a close encounter with a boat that the best way to do that was to set the flag up where you were NOT diving....

I don't know if it's ignorance or stupidity but some boaters will actually be attracted by the flag. I've even heard stories of people in jet ski's using the SMB like a slalom object.

Once again the best advice is to get informed about about local practices when diving somewhere new.

R..

@Diver0001
"Boaters in North America will recognize both flags"
Some times they do some times they don't
No special training is required to operate a small boat in US
Chapmans has a few paragraphs on the red & white divers flag

@rhwestfall

"don't we wish.... "

What have you done today or in the recent past to educate boaters about the red & white divers flag,?
Have you made a presentation to boating clubs?
Have you made a presentation to sportsmen clubs?
Have you posted flyers in the marina or launch areas describing a divers flag?
Do you have a dive flag decal on the back of your automobile?

Don't wish -- take action
The life you save maybe yours

SDM

I have and do....

Interesting responses ...

Do any of you know the history of the red & white dive flag ?

How many dive current publications that you are aware have a dive flag on the cover?
FYI
California Diving News (CDN) has had it in the upper right corner for over 25 years
but no explanation as to what it is or purpose

How about other national and regional dive related publications

SDM

IRPCS, part C, rule 27, paragraph (e), chapter (2):
27. Lights for vessels not under command or restricted in their ability to manoeuvre
e) Whenever the size of a vessel engaged in diving operations makes it impracticable to exhibit all lights and shapes prescribed in paragraph (d) of this Rule, the following shall be exhibited:
(2) a rigid replica of the International Code flag "A" not less than 1 metre (3.3 ft) in height. Measures shall be taken to ensure its all-round visibility.

It is major, international rules.

Red flag with white ribbon - it is non officially international, but very famous flag, and some regions accept it.
That man and his wife invented modern divers flag
1320413_profile_pic.jpe

some divers can suspect, that this flag came from Van Halen music group
but it is not so.

Some smart diving boats has two flags in one time. Alpha and Divers flag.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom