Recycle the SL4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mandy3206

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Recycle the SL4

My old UK SL4 light flooded about 5 months ago and I didn't notice until the next dive a week after the incident (moral is check your lights after every dive, even if you didn't used it), needless to say the inner metal components were ruined, so I tossed it in the milk crate and forget about it for a while.

I was looking for a dry-box small enough for my PWC flare kit so I can carry them and keep them dry, I tried otterbox dry-boxes and zip locks inside, but always a small amount of sea water filtered inside the box after 75 fsw and I had to clean and rinse the whole thing every time I dived with it.

Then about 2 weeks ago, I realized that I got the perfect dry-box for the flare kit, the old SL4.

First, I had to find where it leaked so after removing all the metal guts from it, I stuffed a dry paper towel inside it and went diving with it, just to find that the safety switch was the culprit of the failure, so I removed the switch and epoxied the hole and tested again last week, to my amazement, no leaks so far, I went only to 60 fsw but I'll test it below 100 fsw next month.

This dry-box resolved my problem by keeping my flare kit dry, I can stuff inside the SL4 the launcher and 4 flares easily, maybe I can put 2 more flares, I'll let you know.

thats a good idea! and to keep the seal nice and dry on the SL$ just load it up with silicone grease

Back
Top Bottom