RecSea S95 or FIX S95?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So if I wanted to treat myself to a RecSea\SeaTool housing for X-Mas where would I go about ordering one in the US? All the places I've found so far are either in Europe or SE-Asia.

Pretty sure those are currently the only options for getting it in US. Seems to add 30-$40 last time I checked.

Our booth at the dema show was directly opposite the RecSea booth. We had the Fix S95 on display, and they had RecSea S95. The response to the fit & finish and new front command wheel placement was quite positive.

The new port design actually enables better lens placement with most mounts (67mm being the exception, but this is rarely requested), and adapters will be offered based on demand where appropriate. If someone really wanted to attach UFL-165AD nearer placement is possible with Fix s95 than was available on Fix S90 by RecSea.

Inon has agreed to share mounting specifications for their very impressive new UWL-H100 and Dome to be released in the spring, which I expect will have the highest image quality possible for S95 (no vignetting, and better corner sharpness than Fix UWL-04). The price point will be significantly higher than FIX UWL-04, but I'm looking forward to evaluating its performance.

The internal rear command wheel design used by Fix S95 should eliminate the slipping problems we've seen with Fix S90 and Recsea S90. The RecSea design is essentially unchanged in that respect.

Photos are now online at fisheye-jp.com:
FIX S95

Dive Photo Guide Coverage:
DEMA 2010 Coverage - Day 2

Wetpixel Coverage:
DEMA show 2010: Coverage :: Wetpixel.com

Ryan, as always you are the "go to guy" with the most up-to-the-minute info, and the most accurate ! I hope you, and everyone here for that matter, has a safe and Happy Thanksgiving !!!!

What I would have liked to have seen on the FIXS95 would have been an optional dry port system and a new lens for it much like the dry port wide angle for the G10/11/12(?). Of course, the current approach gives those who prefer a dry port the FIXG12 and those who prefer a wet system the FIX95 so I guess it makes sense.

I am also excited about the new Sony cameras and the ELP series. The fully coated Zen domes would be great for helping eliminate those pesky reflections so many domes are plagued with. I am not going to jump to another system however until I see what Canon and Nikon eventually bring to market, until then my FIX90 will suffice :wink:.

Carbon fiber as a housing material, hmmm, trying to decide about that. I just made a telescope tube with a carbon sock. It is fun stuff but sometimes there is no real advantage, hmmmm, or is there?

I am also excited to hear that Inon is willing to share mount specifications, perhaps this is the beginning of some sort of industry agreed standard that at least some could adhere to. Great -alls of fire.

N

The new port design actually enables better lens placement with most mounts (67mm being the exception, but this is rarely requested), and adapters will be offered based on demand where appropriate. If someone really wanted to attach UFL-165AD nearer placement is possible with Fix s95 than was available on Fix S90 by RecSea.

The internal rear command wheel design used by Fix S95 should eliminate the slipping problems we've seen with Fix S90 and Recsea S90. The RecSea design is essentially unchanged in that respect.

Hi Ryan & all,

I appreciate all the discussions on here about the S95 and related housings!

Ryan, from your previous post it sounds like RecSea manufactured the FIX S90 (and based on the look of the housings I'd say that is pretty clear). Is the new FIX S95 manufactured by someone else?

I'm in the market for a housing for an S95, so I've been scouring the boards...and like many I'm eagerly awaiting real reviews on the new FIX design. I'm concerned about delivery delays though...only because I have a trip scheduled to Grand Cayman in early January and it sounds like I might be pushing it! The RecSea is obviously an option, but ordering from overseas just seems like a hassle...and doesn't really save any money. (For some reason I thought I read it could be had for ~$570+shipping, but not at current exchange rates...they must have been talking Euro's!)

I'm too new to UW photography to really know if I should be concerned about the 52mm threads on the housing and what that means with regards to lenses. I was planning on splurging on the housing, getting a basic strobe, and then trying to build my kit slowly as I learn more.

Tell FIX to hurry up! Ha!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ryan, from your previous post it sounds like RecSea manufactured the FIX S90 (and based on the look of the housings I'd say that is pretty clear). Is the new FIX S95 manufactured by someone else?

Hi PDXFactory,

According this the below link the FIX S95 housing is manufactured by Nauticam.

Nauticam Underwater Housings.com

I've placed an order with ReefPhoto and I'm eagerly awaiting the shipment. It should be released within a week from now from discussions with Richard and Ryan at ReefPhoto, but no concrete date was mentioned.

A planned cave trip is coming up in December 26. Since I'm in Australia, it's not looking too likely for the housing to arrive in time even with express shipping.

The 52mm fixed adapter is suitable for me since its intended to be used with the FIX UWL-04 lens, and not having to buy adapters at huge prices ($35 to $200(!) for an adapter ring).

Very interesting! So the new FIX S95 is manufactured in China, while the RecSea is manufactured in Japan (according to the Japanese RecSea/SeaTool site). Hmm...

I do agree that there is some attractiveness to the ability to eliminate an adapter, and I like the idea that it might provide better performance. But, I haven't read too many major issues related to the FIX S90 housings that really needed to be changed.

What do you guys think about the relocation of the knob for the front ring access? The RecSea position seems to make sense to me (the FIX housing relocated it to the other side), but maybe it's a non-issue in practice?

Nauticam seems to be a quality housing maker but I just have to say, I prefer the Recsea and the original FIX, sorry, and since you asked, part of the reason is the front ring control location and the other is the (probable) fixed port adapter at 52mm and a few other things also as well as being made in Japan, not to be political but I am getting tired of China. I will gladly pay more to something elsewhere.

N

Last edited:
The 52mm fixed adapter is suitable for me since its intended to be used with the FIX UWL-04 lens, and not having to buy adapters at huge prices ($35 to $200(!) for an adapter ring).

Ryan from REEF mentioned in a previous post that the 52mm adaptor was the most popular accessory for the FIX S90 housing.

My only concern (I'm brand new to all this -- still researching the best housing/mount/wet lenses/strobe/tray/arms for my S95) is that 52mm is a thread mount, which is much slower/more work than a bayonet mount (like the AD mount).

I agree $200 for a mount adaptor seems excessive, but anyone who is looking to buy the FIX/Recsea housing ($800) over the Ikelite ($300) or Canon ($180) housing clearly recognizes that some things are worth a few extra bucks....

:(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom