Upgrade from RX100ii to A6X00?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggibson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm currently shooting an RX100ii with an UWL-04 wet lens and single Sea & Sea YS-01 strobe. I'm considering whether to upgrade for an upcoming trip this summer. I only dive a few times a year, so I'm trying to keep the budget reasonable. I love the wet ultrawide lens and usually do most of my dives with that (I've found it's quite awkward to remove underwater and nowhere to put it). I'm curious about doing macro too, but I worry that might feel restrictive on dives.

I could upgrade camera/housing to an A6500 for the larger sensor, faster AF, and other bells/whistles. I'd be able to get some use out of the A6500 topside, whereas I don't really use the RX100ii aside from underwater. This would mean also figuring out what ultrawide option to go with, which I've seen different approaches on ILCs. Fantasea UWL-09F, or dome port with 16/2.8+Fisheye combo or Sony 10-20 pz (useful topside too) or Tokina 10-17? The wet lens feels the most comparable to what I have now, but I'm worried about an even larger and heavier wet lens on the front. Any thoughts on the camera upgrade and wide angle option would be helpful.

Some shots with my current combo below (and if you think I should just get a 2nd strobe before thinking about any other upgrades, that's fair too, and something I'm considering).

Green Sea Turtle by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Beautiful spot to snorkel by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Just hanging out near under a rock by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

You can stay with your gear and buy a wet diopter (let's say something like AOI +12.5), buy yourself a bayonet system (almoat every company has one).

If you upgrade to mirrorless the biggest pro is the lenses available to use, 10-18 / 10-20 for wide angel (even some lenses that enable you fisheye), real macro lenses etc.

On a personal note- I have the 6300 with fantasea housing, 50mm 2.8 macro and +12.5 diopter for macro and I have sigma 16mm and dome port for wide angel. Sometimes I feel like upgrading to the 6600 or 6400 for the better AF and battery life.

A6500 is almost seven years old now. If you're determined to upgrade to A6xxx series, look at a6400/a6600; they are about four years old and feature significant auto focus improvements over a6300/a6500. That said, the refresh of this line, with a new sensor and AI autofocus is supposed to come out Real Soon Now, so this is not the best time to move, unless you're looking to score a bargain by buying used.

For what it's worth, I use an a6300, and I've shot it (wide angle) with 10-18mm + dome, 16-50mm + dome, and 16-50mm + UWL-09F, and I prefer the latter option. I haven't tried the Tokina 10-17mm option.

A single YS-01 is unlikely to be sufficient for wide angle with an APS-C camera. I've used a pair of SeaFrogs ST-100 Pro strobes, broadly similar to YS-03, and it was quite marginal with 10-18mm lens. For the past three years I've been shooting with two Retra Pro, and those are awesome, but expensive. If you go down this route, look for a pair of Inon Z-330s - they're out of production right now, but you can find some used every now and then.

Thanks for both of your thoughts. I agree, with a next-gen APS-C imminent, it is a bit awkward timing. I'm not traveling until August, so I will probably simmer with these options for a bit.

Going for the A6500 was for budget reasons. I saw the Fantasea housing available with flat port on Divervision for $500, plus a used A6500 for roughly another $500. The A6600+housing would be at least double that I think, and while some of the improvements are meaningful, I think probably not worth the extra cost at that point.

For what it's worth, I use an a6300, and I've shot it (wide angle) with 10-18mm + dome, 16-50mm + dome, and 16-50mm + UWL-09F, and I prefer the latter option. I haven't tried the Tokina 10-17mm option.

Can you elaborate on why you prefer the UWL-09F? Is it just for the wider field of view over the 10-18? How's the handling on the UWL-09F and do you take it off during dives? Do you use a float collar to improve balance underwater?

I've looked into bayonet adapters for my current housing (with a 67mm thread), and I might consider one if I add a macro lens. That or a flip adapter, but both feel like pretty pricey add-ons.

First of all your photos are nice! I've used the RX100mkV and A6500. Both are excellent cameras underwater.

If you're concerned about macro wet lenses being awkward to screw/unscrew and limiting you on dives I recommend one of the flip-up mounts. That way you can quick-change between default and macro. It won't work with a big wide wet lens though.

A 2nd strobe with good long arms, and a focus or macro light will be big upgrades without replacing the whole camera and housing. And you can keep them when you do upgrade.

If you're switching to mirrorless for the benefit of multiple lenses, consider the ports you will need for the lenses and the cost of that. Also that you can't change them underwater. Wet mount macro and wide lenses go a LONG way. If you're reasonably satisfied with the sensor performance of the camera you have there isn't much reason to upgrade cameras yet.

There are multiple ways to add the diopter, either the default screw-in, a bayonet mount or flip adapter, but for cost, the bayonet mount might work well as it permits a very quick lens swap. I used the screw-in with Ike housing and eventually needed to replace the port as it has stripped out. Getting a lens caddy that can be attached to an arm gives you some place to store it, even with the screw-on lens. I shot a CMC-2 with the RX100 MKI and it did a nice job and add a 2nd strobe, and you still have a very capable and adaptive set-up until you go down the road to a new camera/housing.

Can you elaborate on why you prefer the UWL-09F? Is it just for the wider field of view over the 10-18?
Wider field of view and the smaller size lets me get closer in CFWA shots.

How's the handling on the UWL-09F and do you take it off during dives?
I take it off and put it back on to get rid of trapped air at the beginning of a dive, but otherwise it's generally too much hassle, as I don't have the bayonet system. I do take it off for a shot occasionally, but this is quite rare. On the other hand, I've been on a liveaboard with another diver who was shooting video with A6500 + Fantasea Housing + UWL-09F, and she was taking it off and putting it on all the time (she did have the bayonet adapter).

Do you use a float collar to improve balance underwater?
I don't have it, but I'm considering getting it.

Going for the A6500 was for budget reasons. I saw the Fantasea housing available with flat port on Divervision for $500, plus a used A6500 for roughly another $500. The A6600+housing would be at least double that I think, and while some of the improvements are meaningful, I think probably not worth the extra cost at that point
Consider a6400 - it doesn't have IBIS, but shooting stills underwater you don't really need it, and it has a generational improvement over a6500 in autofocus, which is especially important if you're going to use an adapted lens (i.e. Tokina 10-17mm).

Could also consider an A6100. Same autofocus upgrades as the A6400, and dimensionally the same as an A6400.

I shoot one in a Nauticam A6400 housing and it works perfectly.

I'm leaning towards just keeping the RX100ii setup for this year unless something really appealing comes along in the next month or two. After some research, I'm not sure the extra expense to upgrade will be worth it for me over what I currently have.

I still might pick up that extra YS-01 to get wider and more even coverage with lighting.

Fellow RX100 ii user here.

First off, your photos are very nice. I wouldn’t be getting rid of that camera if I were you. Getting a newer, better one? When the time is right, sure! But keep that RX100 as well. As a backup, it’s a great piece of kit.

I’m running a YS-D3, and while it’s amazing, I can see where a second strobe would make for much better photos for me, so I agree that might be the right move for you.

A bayonet or flip is a must if you’re planning on using a macro. Just makes life so much easier. I’ve been using the AOI +6 and have found it to be very complementary to the RX100 ii (at least for my needs). I’m using that with a bayonet to swap between that and my WA (UWL-09 Pro). The bayonet system and WA are new for me, but so far, aside from the weight of the lens, I’ve been pretty happy with both. Getting the float collar to address the weight issue, which I’m hoping turns it into a non-issue.

:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom