Upgrade from RX100ii to A6X00?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, I shoot the a6500 in a Nauticam housing with a pair of INON Z-330s and love it. For macro, I use the Sony 90mm macro lens with the associated ports, and for wide angle I use the 16-50mm lens with the Nauticam WWL-1. It's quite a nice setup and I've had a lot of successful photo shoots with it. If you're really interested in the a6500 and housing, I might be willing to part with it for a pretty good bargain. I have some decent topside lenses for the a6500 as well. DM me if you're interested, but regardless, the a6500 has been a great option for me diving all over the world.

Just as a datapoint, there's lots of rumors on a forthcoming A6700 release very soon, which looks to be a great ASP-C mirrorless. That assumes that Nauticam would probably be one of the first to release a housing for that new model. Rumors are that it's going to be just slightly bigger than the previous Axxxx model, so about the same as the A7C.

First a bit of a disclaimer for transparency. I have GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome. I am always looking for "shiny new toys", and just this week, I ordered a new Nikon Z8 for use above the surface.

Underwater, however, I shoot an A6000 in a Nauticam housing. I am a firm believer in what is "affectionately" referred to as the 95/5 rule of photography, which states that 95% of what makes a great image takes place less than 5 inches behind the viewfinder.

You are getting very good results with your current system. If I were you, I would continue to use it, and add a second strobe, but I don't think that you would benefit dramatically from a new camera housing and ports. The "cost/benefit analysis" may not justify it. Only you will be able to honestly answer that question.

IMHO, new gear or new tech won't make a person a better photographer. What it will do, is to make it a bit easier to get the challenging shots. (But that is nothing more than an opinion, so take it with the proverbial grain of salt.)

Back
Top Bottom