Recreational wireless computer options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used a galileo sol for over 600 dives. Never had any problem with it. It can grow with you (doing my trimix course with it). Very easy to read. Very big screen. For night diving, I keep the light on.

Took your advice and researched around. Found computers with LCD display, similar to my Cobra, but with a wireless transducer. Suunto Vyper Air, Oceanic VT4.1, Galileo Luna, etc.. The VT 4.1 with transducer looks like a good deal at $700.
That's what I use (VT4.1). Highly recommend it. Menu is easy to work with. It can work with multiple tanks, so if you plan on switching tanks during the dive, the computer can keep up. Great deal at $700 with the transmitter & cable. Oceanic runs this promo from time to time, and it was on when I bought mine. This computer comes with two different algorithms. You can choose between Pelagic Z+ or DSAT. User replaceable batteries, and user upgradeable firmware when Oceanic rolls out a change. I'll probably pick up a second one for my daughter when she gets certified in a couple months.

I used a galileo sol for over 600 dives. Never had any problem with it. It can grow with you (doing my trimix course with it). Very easy to read. Very big screen. For night diving, I keep the light on.

Me too. The Galileo is actually quite good at night. I use the "light" display ( with the large digits) and keep the backlight on through the dive. I can read it easily.

Made a quick visit to my local dive shop. Didn't have time to try on or play with anything, but the Galileo Luna is huge. Much bigger than I was expecting.

You did say you wanted "a large display":D

On my skinny arms it looked like I had an iPad strapped to my wrist. I passed, but a I know some people who dive the Galileo and none of them have ever had an issue that was not user error or battery related.

You did say you wanted "a large display":D

On my skinny arms it looked like I had an iPad strapped to my wrist. I passed, but a I know some people who dive the Galileo and none of them have ever had an issue that was not user error or battery related.

Yeah, I know. It's been a while since I've looked at dive computers or watches. I said large display because I had the Suunto Gekko and Suunto Mosquito in my mind. Gekko being large display and Mosquito being dive computer watch.

I do have small wrists so the Luna is out. They didn't have the Oceanic VT 4 on display. The Oceanic Atom looked to be bigger than the Suunto Mosquito but smaller than the Suunto Gekko. I believe Suunto changed the name of the Gekko to Zoop. Can I assume the VT 4 is about the same size as the Zoop ?

Last edited:
I've had an Oceanic VT3 for 5 years, more than 500 dives, flawless. If I had to replace it, would consider the VT4.1, don't really need the compass. What I really want is an AI Petrel.

From what I've read, some of the color led computers go through batteries far faster than the older monochrome LCD models. How often are you willing to change batteries?

From what I've read, some of the color led computers go through batteries far faster than the older monochrome LCD models. How often are you willing to change batteries?

Never really thought about it. My Suunto Cobra battery lasts around 3 years.

When you say far faster, what kind of time frame ?

Judging from past forum discussions, much faster. Running color LED & OLED screens burns some power. Someone indicated with the Lynx you've got the option for a rechargeable battery, but that the tray looked a bit fragile. On land, this would largely be a non-issue. But opening & closing a dive computer battery compartment to my mind is a bit like doing so with a camera underwater housing; every time, you add some risk of flooding the device.

Here's what some others had to say:

Lynx - the love is back (mostly).

From DockTock993:

That said, the rechargeable batteries (LFP123A) in both units became another item to pull out, maintain o-rings, and charge every night.
I fortunately brought a non-rechargeable (ER 17335M) I was able to use temporarily, as I discovered on the second day that the rechargeable battery in the computer did not last past 4 dives (~300min).

Also, I admit, as other's have described, concern over the potential longevity of the battery tray, and the added risk to both pieces with daily opening and required o-ring confirmation and maintenance.

Have the issues with the LYNX been resolved?

From AandK:

They also have about a 3 dive limit to the white rechargeable battery before they go yellow on the display. And yes i have set both the transmitter and computer to the correct white battery profile in the computer and yes i do purge both my first stages after each dive to deactivate the transmitter and stop it draining the battery.

Ive also turned the brightness down to its minimum.

Im not writing this as a complaint but in the hope liquivision reads this and tries to improve this in the future.

PaulW, who indicated he's very pleased with his Lynx:

I was and still am a little concerned with the battery tray and wiring but I have a couple hundred dives on mine with a lot of battery changes and all is still OK. For the record I use the rechargeable batteries and get 5 or six dives on them over a weekend or couple of weekends, I will be taking it to Bonaire in January where I make 5 to 6 dives a day and then I will know for sure.

You could also do a Search for threads on the Aeris A300CS and the Oceanic similar model. In once thread, Doug Krause posted this photo of the former:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=180706&d=1396046529

Hey, that thing looks beautiful. I suspect the interface would be more intuitive than older dive computers. I've got an old Oceanic VT3 as a backup computer, and the interface is like a digital watch; I need the manual to work it. My Cobalt 1 console I can use with no manual. So those GUE interfaces are nice!

But find out how often you're going to have to swap batteries, and how rechargeable & non-rechargeable options stack up.

Richard.

---------- Post added April 29th, 2015 at 09:33 PM ----------

P.S.: From Doug Krause's post on that same thread:

User Replaceable Battery with 30-40 dive hour life*. Data Retention maintains settings and calculations between battery changes

*Battery life varies depending on several factors, mostly display intensity setting. Use may be extended by adjusting the display manually (above and/or underwater) or by enabling auto-adjust..

If the real world experience of other dives bears that up, are you okay with swapping batteries that often?

Those using AA are much less fiddly to replace. If they used SUUNTO style battery and replacemet procedures I wouldn't be quite so keen on having to change them as often. IIRC I get around 50-60 dives out of a 3.6v AA on my petrel with each dive being 60mins plus.

Back
Top Bottom