Recreational wireless computer options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those using AA are much less fiddly to replace. If they used SUUNTO style battery and replacemet procedures I wouldn't be quite so keen on having to change them as often. IIRC I get around 50-60 dives out of a 3.6v AA on my petrel with each dive being 60mins plus.

I could live with 50-60 dives out of 1 battery, but the Petrel is not right for me.

Right now, I am leaning towards the Oceanic VT4.1. It seems to be going for a very reduced price everywhere. I wonder if Oceanic has a replacement coming out soon.

My wife has been using the Oceanic VT3 for over 200 dives. It has proven to be very reliable and easy for her to read and navigate. I am sure you will like the VT 4.

I have owned the Oceanic VTX and would not recommend it. The battery life is very short (less than 10 hours) if you turn the screen up bright enough to actually enjoy it.

Mares Icon is fairly massive and easy to read - I would avoid the aeriescs300/oceanic - vtx - mine has a tendency to lose connection on almost every dive it comes back but if you forget to turn off the warning beeps it will pi$$ you off and the divers around you lol

I could live with 50-60 dives out of 1 battery, but the Petrel is not right for me.

Right now, I am leaning towards the Oceanic VT4.1. It seems to be going for a very reduced price everywhere. I wonder if Oceanic has a replacement coming out soon.

Found some statements that Oceanic is discontinuing the VT 4.1, which is why it is selling for reduced price everywhere. Interesting part is, they are also saying no replacement. So the Oceanic AI wireless line up looks to be:

VTX: Large color display.
OC1: Watch size display, titanium body.
OCi: Watch size display, SS body.
Atom: Watch size display, SS body.

Interesting comparing the OCi and Atom. OCi looks to be easier to navigate and read, but I can't believe elapsed dive time is not displayed on the OCi main screen. That's a deal breaker for me.

I like my Suunto Cobra, but would like to try something less conservative. Luna too big for me. So now considering the Atom or the VT4.1, knowing the VT4.1 will be discontinued. Mixed feelings about upgrading to wireless and buying something new that is discontinued.

From what I've read, some of the color led computers go through batteries far faster than the older monochrome LCD models. How often are you willing to change batteries?

This is my experience with my Aeris CS300. I love it overall, but I have a set of rechargeable batteries that I cycle through. I don't try to push the limits. With the original, non rechargeable battery, I want to say it lasted less than 20 dives. That isn't much. So with a set of rechargeables, I just rotate them after 10 dives, just a minor addition to my equipment maintenance. I wouldn't be surprised if some found this unacceptable, but I'm okay with it and really enjoy this computer.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom