Recreational diving versus Technical? diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison:
Walter's probably much wiser than I, but I do use the term so I suppose it demands definition.
In its simplest form I call diving with an overhead (be that physical or physiological) "technical."
But recreational divers make "sort of" technical dives all the time - I'd put single stop deco-on-backgas and cavern dives in this "grey" area. And dives that don't involve great depth, overheads or decompression can be highly technical indeed... so... to my mind "real" technical diving is considerably more than just making the dive.
- Planning. The technical diver has pretty much done the dive several times with many contingencies and scenarios before ever hitting the water. Where, when, how, who, goals, depth, time, navigation, gas plan, contingencies, emergencies... all have been thoroughly thought through and discussed within the team before the dive. The "envelope" for the dive has clear boundaries; decisions are made on the surface to the maximum extent possible so that whatever happens on the dive, the team's actions are planned and automatic. Plans are kept as simple as possible; fat is meticulously trimmed. "Do we need to do that? Is there a great advantage in doing it? If not, don't. Is there an easier way? If so, use it." KISS applies. Plans may take only a few minutes for familiar sites and teams that dive together routinely or they may take months to develop and finalize.
- Equipment. The equipment works. It is high quality and well maintained. If it isn't needed it isn't carried; if it's needed for life support it is covered with a redundant backup that works.
- Discipline. Team members know the plan cold and follow the plan. If an abort situation occurs they call the dive. The thumb trumps all; no argument. Stick to the plan; don't get fancy.
- Skill. Buoyancy control, trim, body control is natural and impeccable; anti silting technique too. Normal, contingency and emergency procedures are executed smoothly, quickly and effectively. Overlearning skills is the norm. Handling equipment is familiar - a place for everything, everything in its place - and in easy reach.
- Knowledge. Both background fundamentals like physics, physiology and equipment mechanics to normal and emergency procedures to site specifics like visibility, temperature, weather, currents, hazards etc.
- Attitude. Respect reality. No dive is perfect; learn from every dive how to make the next one better. Learn something new on every dive - pay attention to life, the earth, the water... Respect the site; touch only when necessary, then to minimize impact. When harvesting, take the care to kill efficiently and swiftly or don't take the shot at all - there's always McDonalds in a pinch. Respect the team; be a team player alert to not only developing stress or dangerous situations but also ways to facilitate others' enjoyment. Take the time to see as well as look. Respect other divers you may encounter. Don't be snooty - share the wonder with enthusiasm; be as captivated with the newbie's narrative (that you've heard a hundred times from a hundred newbies) as the old timer's sea story. Always remember that the laws of physics have no respect for money, rank, social status, qualifications or experience... not even for a big expensive camera or scooter :)
Rick
Great post, Rick ... gotta save that one ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

intersting thread as I am presenting a topic to our club "Things we can learn from the Technical Diver" and trying to keep it simple. and in the 1 hour time frame; but also to show what the diver can do/purchase to do some of the same things - however, the biggest difference is the mental approach - safety, redundancy, maintenance, vigilance

ianr33:
Guess we just agree to disagree. No worries
YEP! That's what I like so much about diving... everyone is different, has different opinions, and what works for someone is not necessarily the best for someone else.... it's a lot "between the ears", and if the general attitude is OK it's great... there is not something like "the" only "right" way of doing things, regardless of what some people try to tell us... :)

cerich:
You can have "black belt" recreational divers and "white belt" tech divers.

Ain't that the truth!

Luc Dupas:
YEP! That's what I like so much about diving... everyone is different, has different opinions, and what works for someone is not necessarily the best for someone else.... it's a lot "between the ears", and if the general attitude is OK it's great... there is not something like "the" only "right" way of doing things, regardless of what some people try to tell us... :)

I am guessing you dont drink much Kool Aid :wink:

As a martial artist, the thing you have to remember is that the belt holds up your pants :) The belt would be akin to card collecting.

Luc Dupas:
LOL... sorry ianr33... you're simply referring to DIR-talk... "technical diving" is a much broader/wider thing than "only" the DIR stuff, or "only" cave diving you know...
E.g. the long hose is something useful for cave diving but if e.g. you want to go for deep diving etc. there is no added benefit to even considering a LH...
Idem dito for the rest of your list... this is simply a copy&paste from the DIR "religion"...

On recreational/deep/non-cave dives the long hose can still be useful because:

- keeps all the regs where you can see / feel / hear a free flow.
- involves no octo holders which the reg can work loose from during a dive.
- involves no octo holders which will not release the reg when it is needed.
- can deliver a working reg to an OOA diver every time
- optimizes for the case where an OOA diver strips the reg out of your mouth
- the 7' hose is useful for swimming side-by-side upslope instead of doing a direct ascent

So, "there is no added benefit to even considering a long hose" is pretty much wrong. And I don't believe this because of "religion", I believe it because of incidents like this one:

Several cave divers squeezed past us to go to lower depths. One of them landed on top of me and then kicked to go lower. Evidently, when he did, he kicked my alternate air regulator loose. I was not aware that this had happened because I was trying to get out of his way. The alt air reg. drifted behind me and started free flowing. With all the bubbles coming up from all the divers down below us I did not notice that my tank was emptying fast. No one else in our group noticed either. At some point I noticed it drifting next to my side & stopped the free flow and reattached it. I ckecked my SPG and I was just above 500lbs.

( http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=162074 )

Best technical dive definition ever (stolen from raydar's sig line):

"A technical dive is when the planning exceeds the bottom time, the cost can't be rationalized, the gear weighs more than you do, the liability waiver is too thick to fold, and 95% of the dive shops don't pump what you need in your tanks." - stolen from a DecoStop member

ianr33:
I am guessing you dont drink much Kool Aid :wink:
Indeed... my favourite drink when diving is plain vanilla fresh water (and lots of them)... and hot soup in winter time... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom