Question Recreational Divers: What are the biggest problems you face in this sport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having to travel halfway around the globe to find healthy reefs and marine life.
Aging.
Money.

Aligning good local conditions with time off work.

I never was much of a tropical/coral/pretty fish diver. It's heart breaking to see the decline in those habitats. I am attracted to places that are less impacted by global warming.....so far.

Getting fills - all 3 dive shops in town are gone and it costs me as much in fuel to get my tank filled as it does for the air.

Access to dive sites - Went to dive Deception Pass Saturday and the nearest parking was almost a mile from the beach.

The amount of effort and logistics it takes to load up the car and the boat and go somewhere is just about overwhelming some days. Add to that the summer algae bloom taking out visibility in the nearest waters and it has been a hars year to get in the water.

Age. I'm thinking I have only another dozen (or so) years to do this.

rx7diver
I'm 76 and don't believe I have another dozen years. Until a few years ago I used to do two dives every two weeks. Now down to two dives every three months or so. Been diving mostly at the Poor Knights islands New Zealand. This is rated to be one of the top ten dive spots in the world. Unfortunately after doing hundreds of dives there I am so spoiled that it doesn't excitement me much anymore. Mostly go there for the social aspects these days.

1. Mines more a BSAC specific thing, but getting instructors willing to do courses
2. Convincing the wife I need more gear
3. Finding time to travel abroad for diving

Trim. Especially during a valve drill.
Or while I switch strokes, perfectly flat flutter, to parachute trim frog kicking.

Do people sometimes call buoyancy, trim? Because there's a ton of talk about buoyancy training. But buoyancy is cake.
what type of valve drill do you do as a new diver? I'm curious!

Waves,,,,, They seem so friendly but just won't go away.

I was on the same mental "wavelength" as @Johnoly. I'd say wind (and thus waves). Wind from the wrong direction, at the wrong time, and for too long. These days, that is really the sole issue I face day in and day out for the diving that I like to do.

what type of valve drill do you do as a new diver? I'm curious!

Thread said rec divers. We've done doubles on rec dives.

Just practicing for the Valve Drill Nazi's. (Even though theyre banded isolated doubles) And for the fun of it.

Getting fills - all 3 dive shops in town are gone and it costs me as much in fuel to get my tank filled as it does for the air.

Access to dive sites - Went to dive Deception Pass Saturday and the nearest parking was almost a mile from the beach.

The amount of effort and logistics it takes to load up the car and the boat and go somewhere is just about overwhelming some days. Add to that the summer algae bloom taking out visibility in the nearest waters and it has been a hars year to get in the water.

Where are you getting fills now?

I think you're parking in the wrong spot. Should be a short walk.

My problems :

- money,
- weather conditions,
- time (before : organising and going there, after : going back, rinsing, drying, etc...)

Back
Top Bottom