Question Recreational Divers: What are the biggest problems you face in this sport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Barryattle,

No need to be sad for me. I started in 1986 (at age 31), a very exciting time to begin learning. The "distraction" got me through graduate school. So, no regrets. I hope to eventually make my gear available to someone who will appreciate it, someone who will keep diving it.

rx7diver

@Barryattle,

No need to be sad for me. I started in 1986 (at age 31), a very exciting time to begin learning. The "distraction" got me through graduate school. So, no regrets. I hope to eventually make my gear available to someone who will appreciate it, someone who will keep diving it.

rx7diver
I guess I was projecting. I started late, 9 years ago at age 59, and as dive buddies who helped me are having to give it up, I realize my diving days are numbered, too, alas. When my time to stop comes, I will really miss being able to visit the only alien planet I will ever reach - and one so full of life!

Age. I'm thinking I have only another dozen (or so) years to do this.

rx7diver
Yep..... I get it. I'm only 69 but I've noticed that every year it gets a little harder to get my ass back up with all my gear after I wipe out on one of the Bonaire shore entry/exits.

Waves,,,,, They seem so friendly but just won't go away.

Some of my challenges:
  1. Keeping my extremely modest skills current, not enough opportunities to dive and practice.
  2. What I'll call travel friction; cancelled flights, long flight times because of excessive time between connecting flights, inability to find rental cars and or inability to find lodging. Seems the way to deal with these problems is to book 1 - 1 1/2 years in advance, which I cant do.
  3. Finding travel insurance I can trust if trip is cancelled for weather or other reasons.
  4. Finding quality dive and snorkeling sites
  5. Age, sometimes the juice aint worth the squeeze

Running back to the shop to fill tanks. I only brought 4 tanks with, and I'd like to burn through all 4 on Saturday and still dive Sunday. I'm in the market for 4 more tanks.

Rapidly diminishing quality of dive sites. Among other factors, overfishing depleting marine life, bleaching killing corals, and hurricanes and micro organisms causing rapid deterioration's of once spectacular shipwrecks.
Sadly, this. The best diving is behind us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom