Reconsidering split fins or other blade fin.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started out with a pair Atomic split fins, and they were very comfortable and gives a nice, powerful kick both when scissor and frog kicking. I could even do heli turns with them.

If you want to stay with a blade fin, I find that the Hollis F1 fins gives much better scissor kick propulsion than my Jets. The tips are a little "floppy" for a great back kick, but they'll do it.

Henrik

I know I've already reserved a space in the first level of hell for starting this thread about split fins, but the ninth level? that's a little harsh. :shocked2:
Now, if I start romancing spare airs, tank bangers, and poodle jackets with an air2 then there will be cause for concern. :D

It was actually the second dive that really kicked my butt that day. My legs locked up during the surface swim out to the drop zone. I just sucked it up and did the dive anyway. As the cramping would come and go I would just stretch it the best I could and keep going.
This swim was at least a quarter mile one way. The surface swims were probably 20 minutes one way, so doing two dives it was probably 4 hours of constant power kicking with Jet Fins, that's a lot. I tried to find a way to do a frog kick and a porpoise kick on the surface but it didn't work too well. A regular flutter kick is really the only thing that works.

And with backing up, I really don't care about it. I never had a use for the maneuver. Most of the time the surge is moving us back and forth 5 to 6 feet or more. We're diving fairly close to shore in about 35 to 45 feet of water. There are big huge rocks with corridors that the surge whistles through. I could see in calm water how backing up could be a benefit doing photography or in a cave or wreck but most of the time we are marching forward covering ground over rocky terrain and trying to battle surges. I do use helicopter turns on occasion. I'm sure they aren't picture perfect but I'm good enough at it to not smash into stuff.
It's more those killer surface swims I'm trying to deal with.
A while ago I got my ass kicked on a surface swim by a girl!

If you want to give my F-1s a try, just ask.

I've heard Apollo Bio Fins are the best out of the split fin group. Other than that I would recommend Scubapro's Seawing Gorilla/Nova as those really give you more thrust than other splits fins I've seen. They're more akin to paddles.

IMO switching to splits will take a while to get used to and you'll be predomintly using only up-down kicks such as flutter and dolphin. All lateral leg movement tends to put strain on your thighs and calfs since the split acts as a spoiler in this way.

My solution on the cheap: homemade split fins - - ScubaBoard Gallery

I since cut them back further so all you can read is "ES". 10 years and no regrets. They frog kick every bit as well as my old Jets.

How can a pair of fins cost more than $100?!?!

And no company have filed a suit for violating some XYZ ABC imaginary patent by making this home made split fins !!!???

And no company have filed a suit for violating some XYZ ABC imaginary patent by making this home made split fins !!!???
He's not selling them for profit.

---------- Post added ----------

If you want to give my F-1s a try, just ask.
Sure, I'll try them.
Thanks Oren.

---------- Post added ----------

I've heard Apollo Bio Fins are the best out of the split fin group. Other than that I would recommend Scubapro's Seawing Gorilla/Nova as those really give you more thrust than other splits fins I've seen. They're more akin to paddles.

IMO switching to splits will take a while to get used to and you'll be predomintly using only up-down kicks such as flutter and dolphin. All lateral leg movement tends to put strain on your thighs and calfs since the split acts as a spoiler in this way.

I tried Apollo's a long time ago. They were the original black rubber ones. All I remember is my legs going up and down and it felt like I didn't have any fins on but I went forward. Maybe I couldn't get used to there not being much resistance??
Then I tried SP split jets and as far as I can recall it was similar but maybe slightly more effort. I can't comment on propulsion differences because I don't remember.
I didn't try any of the plastic styles.
I did try the sea wing novas in a pool and immediately tried the twin jets right after. The twin jets were faster and the effort seemed to be about the same. Heli turns didn't work for me with novas because the curve of the wing made the fin do weird stuff when moved sideways.
I graded the split jets higher than the novas but unfortunately I didn't have my regular jets with me to put them up against the splits to see the contrast. I suppose I could go down to the Sonoma State U pool during one of the classes and try it again but there is no test like the actual ocean in full gear.

I know I've already reserved a space in the first level of hell for starting this thread about split fins, but the ninth level? that's a little harsh. :shocked2:

Hey, it's a tough crowd here-you are wise to avoid discussion of the other items you mentioned.:D Personally, I find the rubber Atomic or SP twin jets are fairly close in performance. The Atomics feel a bit wimpy, but do move you along about the same as the SPtwin jets. No more cramps with either. -Hey wait, forgot to use an alias:D

Just bought me a pair of Jets today. Tried them in ful gear in the pool and I found they don't hurt or cramp if you let the TREMENDOUS momentum they provide propel you.

Ive found that they work best for me if I do a slow, long, RELAXED flutter kick, which will still allow you to easily keep up with other or make them "eat your silt"

The other is to, as need for speed be, give 10 hard, powerful, quick kicks, followed by very minimal short and relaxed finning, or none at all.

I used my friends pair for a few dives before buying my own, just find one that works for you.

I'm interested in your take on the Novas. I found I could back kick and helicopter fine; I just had problems with the frog kick. The little "tabs" on the side of the fins only seem to cause a problem when you want to move the fins sideways and they are horizontal. But you felt you couldn't helicopter?

I also struggled to helicopter and back kick in Novas. Bear in mind though that my experience was within the time frame of a single dive so I have no idea if I could have adapted a style that worked with them over time.

I found that whenever I tried anything other than a flutter or frog kick the Novas slid within the water column in a direction that I didn't want them to. They seemed to have a mind of their own. I attributed it to the weird geometry and non-plane-like structure of the fins but it could just as easily been operator error.

I also didn't like their performance (or, to be more precise, perceived performance) on the surface but not sure if that is such a big issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom